Reboots require 2 logins

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KPOM, Sep 13, 2011.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

Has anyone noticed this, and if so, found a solution? I have FileVault 2 enabled. Recently, I noticed that when I reboot (such as after installing a Software Update that requires a reboot, or after Boot Camp), after I enter my password, the spinning circle comes up for about 15 seconds. The screen then goes blank, it chimes again, the login screen comes back up, and it starts normally after that. If I disable FileVault 2, it starts up normally, however FileVault 2 is supposed to coordinate the logins so you only need to enter it in once.

I have an i7 11" MacBook Air, so am not sure if this is strictly a FileVault issue, or one with the interaction of FileVault with the MacBook Air. I have tried disabling and re-enabling FileVault, and also changing the password.

2. minnus macrumors 6502

Interesting... I always thought that this was intended as that is how other 'whole disk' encryption software works.

3. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

That wasn't how it started. Originally, it just required a single login and only chimed once. I can't remember exactly when it started requiring the second "reboot" but it was likely after a software update.

4. G0meZ macrumors regular

that's what i read somewhere too; once FV2 is active, the authentification happens at the very beginning of boot process.
    have you checked the auto login settings in sys prefs? maybe that got changed?

5. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home tonight.

6. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

The auto login is disabled and grayed out. I think FileVault2 does that by default.

7. blulite macrumors newbie

It's FV2. You can do a quick check, like I did. Unencrypt, then you only get one login. Re-encrypt, the second login is back. I believe the first login mounts encrypted volume, then you need to login to your account. It would be a good new feature if they just eliminated the second login.

8. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Parallels 7?

Did you by chance upgrade to Parallels7? There is a known issue exactly as you describe when running parallels 7 under Lion with file vault turned on. Uninstall Paralles 7 and it goes sway or turn off filevault and it goes away.

Parallels is aware of the issue and is working on a fix they say will be in their next update.

9. blulite macrumors newbie

Interesting. I do have Parallels 7. I'll look forward to their fix.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

10. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

Yes, I did update to Parallels 7. Thanks for the info. So it looks like Parallels 7 eliminated some bugs that were in the last build of 6 (like automatically opening my last VM every time I started it), but added some new ones.

11. minnus macrumors 6502

I don't have Parallels and my machine exhibits the same behavior...

12. AdrianT macrumors member

13. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

14. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

The Parallels 7 update fixed the problem for me.

15. G0meZ macrumors regular

:confused:

16. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

The latest Parallels 7 update fixed the problem for me. Now only one boot one only one password prompt.

17. superlum macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks so much for the advice. I did an update for Parallels 7 and now I don't get that issue. I thought I had bought a lemon! :D