Rebuild A1181

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davred, Mar 1, 2014.

1. davred macrumors newbie

The HDD on my son's elderly but otherwise OK MacBook died horribly but I replaced it and used the original DVDs to rebuild the OS. It's 10.4 and I really need to upgrade. The ONLY other version I have is a Snow Leopard DVD but I think I have to get the machine to 10.5 first.

Is it still possible to get hold of Leopard?

Thanks

David

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can upgrade directly to 10.6/Snow Leopard without a problem. Also note that Apple's support for Snow Leopard has been discontinued. For security and compatibility reasons, you may want to run Lion on that Macbook if it is a Core2Duo.

3. davred thread starter macrumors newbie

4. cyclechicviki macrumors newbie

rebuild early 2008

New on this site, I ordered from OWC a new 1.0TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 RPM SATA 2 hard drive..also ordered 4GB + 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM memory per the stores recommendations. I have the orig. install disc + a snow leopard disc

I want to upgrade to maverick. included in this upgrade buy is a cradle for the old hard drive that can be used an external drive via USB...

My question is, do I need to back up the old disc? I would rather not have all the old clutter on the new drive, this is not used for business, pics have already been downloaded to CD.....

any suggestions/help on how to go through this process would be great...the physical removal/install of hardware seems to be a piece of cake, it is the restart and installing an OS on the new drive that has me concerned

thanks,:confused:

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Mavericks is OS X 10.9.x - if your MacBook really is an early 2008, then Mavericks is not possible. You are limited to Lion (OS X 10.7.5), one version newer than your Snow Leopard.

6. cyclechicviki macrumors newbie

Os?

I'm OK w/not upgrading to Maverick, I knew I could not w/orig. hard drive memory I just thought since I am upgrading memory and drive I could...OK if not possible

The real question is do I just reinstall the orig. disc that came with this EARLY 2008 mac book (along with my snow leopard disc) to get an OS on the new hard drive....I do not want to transfer all the garbage from old drive over.

thank you