Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thrasherlife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Hello, I recently experience a HDD failure on my MP and lost all my music and movies. Is there a way to retrieve all the files from the appleTV? I know at least all the music is on the appleTV.

Jason

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I don't know of any "official" way of doing this. It may be possible to hack the Apple TV in order to gain access to them (but doing that may wipe the content in the process). If it's the only copy of the music / videos you have then the best / only way would probably be to open the Apple TV up, take the disk out and mount it in an external caddy. That way, you should be able to copy the files straight off the hard disk...

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I don't know of any "official" way of doing this. It may be possible to hack the Apple TV in order to gain access to them (but doing that may wipe the content in the process). If it's the only copy of the music / videos you have then the best / only way would probably be to open the Apple TV up, take the disk out and mount it in an external caddy. That way, you should be able to copy the files straight off the hard disk...

You don't need to open up the ATV. Just create a Patchstick to enable ssh access. Then you can cop back your music.
PM me if you need more details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.