rebuild iWeb site

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by needmachelp, Oct 20, 2008.

1. needmachelp macrumors newbie

I have searched a LOT and think I need to rebuild my site, but I wanted to know if I can avoid that.
    I have three sites created in iWeb.
    They are all published to the web.
    I have one domain file (should there be three???)

I have all of the website pages in my website file....however, within iWeb I deleted all of the pages for one of the sites. In order to ever edit those pages, do i need to rebuild them or can I transfer them back in somehow??

One more note...I do have that particular website in its entirety in iWeb on another laptop...(not mine and I do not have continual access to it); will this help me? Can I somehow merge the two iWeb apps so that I have all three websites??
    Any help will be much appreciated!
    -Melinda

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK first off, under normal circumstances yes- all three sites are stored in one file- that being the domain.sites (or domain.sites2 file depending on which version of iWeb you are using).

Now I say under normal circumstances and by that I mean how iWeb normally does business, but I am a cheerleader for a free utility called iWebSites. It makes it possible to store individual sites in individual domain files, making it MUCH more efficient to publish single sites rather than having to publish all your sites at once with the default iWeb scheme. Check it out and I think you will see why it is a indispensable tool for me in iWeb work. I deal with 6 sites and the old way of having them all in one file got very old very fast! ;)

Next, no unfortunately there is no method to take published pages and transfer the data back into iWeb. :( If you doubt that, take a peek (view package contents on the domain.sites file) and you will see that the storage format of iWeb is FAR different than the code that it produces in published sites!

iWebSites does have a merge functionality built in, but I have never needed to use that since I use it to keep all sites independent so you might want to try that out if you still want to keep your sites in one domain.sites. Just be sure to backup the domain.sites on both machines first and keep the backups in a safe place (like another folder altogether on the desktop for instance). At very least it would seem like you could use iWebSites to manage the additional domain file copied from the other machine.

Hope some of this helps!

3. homa2001 macrumors newbie

SO if you have a backup of Domain.sites just put it over the existing one and you should be fine. Of course backup before you restore from backup ;)