Rebuild vs. Buying a New MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macphotog718, Oct 22, 2012.

1. macphotog718 macrumors newbie

I am looking to save some money and rebuild an old computer rather than spend the 2000 on a new one. I have a late 2008 MBP that has lasted quite a long time and obviously performs at a much more sluggish rate. Im curious if I could restore some of its power by replacing the existing hard drive with a SSD and adding 8Gb of ram. Or would it still be slow since the processor and the rest of the internal parts are old?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

3. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

very possible. ive done the same...just upgrade to 8gb ram and install an sad. Wouldn't feel like you need a new machine at all.

If it wasn't for the washed screen I would def keep mine.

4. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

A 2008 model wont take 16GB

But yes it will definitely bring your old macbook back to life. I did this w/ my 2009 MBP (See Signature). A full restore onto an to a solid-state drive is the best thing you can do. I work in an apple reseller and my 3 yr old computer is now faster than a brand new cMBP

5. macphotog718 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anything else you would recommend replacing/upgrading. I recently got a new battery, other than that?

6. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

update to the newest OS X that supports your machine's architecture

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

As already mentioned, first try going up to 8gb of RAM, should be relatively cheap. Then try replacing your hard drive with an SSD if you find you're still needing an additional boost for day to day stuff.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Upgrading the memory will only provide a boost in performance if you're hitting a lot page outs. That is if you have 8gb now, and only use safari, email, etc - the increase in ram isn't going to be noticeable.

For laptops you really are limited to upgrading the ram and drive - Depending on your usage will dictate if a ram upgrade is warranted. SSD will certainly help the performance.