Rebuilding a 2.7GHz G5 LCS

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Mar 19, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

The other day there was a post from iamMacPerson discussing converting a liquid cooled G5 to air cooled. I now own this machine and within the first few hours it's already been torn down! UPS broke the leg of his new G5 and also the top back leg of my new 2.7GHz G5.

So I ran it for a few minutes and I was impressed by the speed with my SSD. Handles 720p YouTube videos in WebKit like its a hot knife slicing through butter! For this short period of time and after the YouTube testing, CPU A was at 180*F! So after that I shut down and started the tear down.

Just a word of advice. Please don't tear down your LCS inside your house, not good to be working with coolant and if you have pets, the smell is similar to that of antifreeze which is sweet and animals will drink it and die.

Following Bill's guide and reading it a few times the past few days, I knew somewhat what I was doing and a few hours later this thing was down to its radiator. I didn't get pictures of the corrosion (but will add some soon) and it wasn't nearly too bad however the line connecting the CPUs together was full of corrosion and crap, and the line was toast so all of that went into the garbage.

On the waterblock, one of the 8 screws was a total PITA to get out but eventually I got it out. To clean these little blocks and the plastic bits the line connects to, I rinsed them under warm water and scrubbed them down with a old toothbrush to remove the gunk. All clean now!

The stock fluid in here is a piss-like yellow orange which has almost it's own ecosystem of clouds near the bottom of whatever you put it in, and there was all kinds of crap in the fluid that I have zero clue how it got there. For new coolant I went with Feser One in the green color, which looks pretty neat. You can see this in the attached photo with the green, as I was cleaning the pump I added some coolant to it. Almost went with some real engine coolant to make the LCS even more genuine!

Waiting on O-rings to finish this up. Will make this post nicer with pictures soon :) MR on my iPad is being lame with attachments.

Attached Files:

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hey Gavin! File a report with UPS, they are usually pretty good at compensation. Also, you should post this project on the PPCArchive website.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Hey if you want to pay for shipping, I have the handles. I took the case apart since someone else wanted the front and back cheese graters.

I see you got the Feser One! Great stuff. I've had a bottle sitting on my shelf for years and there has been nothing that settled to the bottom. Go to a computer store and look at their "colored" water for water cooling and see all the crap that settles. lol.

4. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Do you happen to also have the side panel? Need one of those too :)

Yeah I saw that you recommended Feser One in a different post so that is what I got! Love the green color!

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I used that side panel for another project. I only have one full case left which was from my quad.

Wish shipping anyways, you're probably better off finding another one locally for parts. G5s are so cheap now.

6. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I see you were also baking muffins in the background. :D

7. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Aww :( Actually I think I will end up trying to find a parts DP model of some sort, I need the case and a friend needs a PSU/Motherboard/Graphics card so he can have a working G5!

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

LOL. I have all that lol. I have lots of G5 parts in my basement. I don't know if my AGP graphics card works though?

9. gavinstubbs09, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014

gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I found this interesting, I knew about the Delphi and the dual pump LCS used in the quads and how they looked, but I never saw a Panasonic model which looks weird and massive. Maybe they are rare because nobody has to fix that LCS :rolleyes:

From what I could gather based on the internet... the G5 Quad actually used a single pump delphi and used the two pump delphi. Off and on. The single pump was also used with the 2004 2.5GHz and the 2005 2.7GHz (like mine). The Panasonic has been reported in the 2.7GHz model. Mine was made in April of 2005 so who knows when Panasonic came along.

Delphi
    Most common for leaking, these were used in 2004 2.5GHz and early 2005 2.7GHz models. Some quads may of had this system, but with all rubber tubing and no aluminum tubing.
    [​IMG]

Panasonic
    These consist of dual pumps and one giant heatsink with no raidiator to be seen. There are only four documented pictures of the Panasonic version as they seem to be extremely rare. This came out of a 2.7GHz model.
    [​IMG]

Dual Pump in G5 Quad
    These have a radiator split into two sides, one for CPU/A and one for CPU/B each with their own pumps. There are few reports of these leaking, but many have replaced the coolant to lower temps.
    [​IMG]

10. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I've seen both my processors go far above 180, maybe I should rebuild mine...

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That Panasonic looks really interesting. I've never seen that setup before. Must have been a rare prototype version or something.

I'm going to look for a pinout for the pumps. I'd like to use them in some other projects.

12. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

At first I thought someone modded it then to find out it was Panasonic's shot at the LCS!

BMaverick actually sells the pumps modded for PC power (3-pin, like normal fan connectors), and I am trying to find out if he has a new one for the G5 that hasn't been rewired so that I can have a spare pump in the future to get longer life out of my G5 (want to use it for a few years in the future and keep it top notch!).

http://bmaverickddcpumps.wordpress.com/buy-ddc-pumps-here/

13. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

All DDC based pumps should be quite easy to rewire yourself, if you have basic soldering skills.

There are a couple of different versions of the pumps both in 10W and 18W. Laing is the manufacturer, but they are sold under many brands: Aquacomputer, Koolance, Delphi, Swiftech etc.

There's one issue though: the G5 cooling loops have no reservoirs, so the Apple DDC versions have a custom base with a volume compensator. Replacing the G5 pumps with any other DDC will require some modding.

Here's an interesting read: Work Log of Apple Power Mac G5 Quad Liquid Cooling System Pump Repair