Rebuilding a G4 MDD? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cyriak, May 16, 2009.

1. Cyriak macrumors newbie

I've got an old Powermac G4 MDD sitting in my closet, it's motherboard is supposedly busted. I'm in need of a computer that could handle a couple games that I play often a bit better than than the one I have now.

Would it be possible to completely strip the inside of the mac and replace it with all new components? The only thing I'm worried about is that the motherboard wouldn't fit.

Also, would the power supply still work with all of the new stuff?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

what new components would you try to put in? You probably can;t buy the old mac components anymore. It would be cheaper to just buy a used Mac.

3. Cyriak thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not looking to replace it with mac parts, I'm looking to build a pc inside the body of the mac.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

The power supply will have to be replaced. I would make sure of the motherboard dimensions beforehand because some will fit and some won't. You'll have to mod for mounting too.
    I've had a look at a Sawtooth along the same lines as what you're thinking, but didn't follow through.

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you're going to scrap that machine for parts, as long as the power supply is working it can be sold for a nice sum. Apple sells them refurbed for around $500 so you should easily be able to get half that. Shocking as it is, the power supply is worth more separately than the entire machine in working condition.

6. Cyriak thread starter macrumors newbie

I mind as well sell the power supply and put it towards a new computer all together, if it means having to mod the case. Thanks for the help, guys.

7. Cyriak thread starter macrumors newbie

Before I go and pull the thing out of the computer, where is a good place to sell the power supply to? Can I just bring it to an apple store and they'll take it?

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

As far as selling the power supply, ebay is your best bet. Good luck with finding a PC motherboard that will fit, as I was considering doing this to a old G3 B&W and couldn't find a motherboard that would fit.

9. leavingwave macrumors newbie

sell the power supply and cpu on ebay.. and get a used g4 or g5 instead.. you'll go crazy trying to find a PC mobo to fit in a MDD case. goodluck.

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Installing PC components into a G4 PowerMac case has been done. See this example. Most micro-ATX boards would fit, however getting everything oriented and making everything fit/work correctly would require a good bit of work.