rebuilding iMac G3 with other parts

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NZed, Mar 4, 2011.

1. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Is it a good idea to rebuild the imac with pc parts? or is it even possible?
    i can find just the case of an iMac G3 on sale on trademe.co.nz

i dont need much power for it(im gonna be using it for web browsing mostly) so i think im gonna fit in my old laptop's part(if its possible) and find a connector for the screen to work. i have the correct tools to make the parts from my laptop fit in the g3 but im not sure will it work

what do you guys think???

2. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

thanks for the info!!!

and what im trying to do is to replace the screen too... since the case that i may be buying is just a case. nothing inside.
    so im going to fit my laptop's screen inside(its a 14", and i think i have a way around to make it fit the 15" although not sure yet)

3. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

Why not just get a 15" LCD monitor off of craigslist? They're really cheap right now, and easier to deal with than a 14" laptop screen would be

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you dont need to , 14 inch are big enough ,the iMac g3 (slot loader i have here the diagonal opening is 37cm , 14.5") so your 14 inch should fit nicely , because on lcd displays the viewable 14 inch are actually a bit wider and higher for mounting reasons , the crt are not 15 inch its 13.6 inch viewable , and you want the viewable area covered with your display without having to cut the iMac's front to bits , be aware the care is rounded like a crt tube , so your flat lcd will leave some gaps

i had the same plans , but i just cant do it i love them to much , both my iMac G3 600/700 mhz are fully working like new and the performance is much better then the geekbench results would indicate , and it's just a crime to viscerate a working iMac G3 to make a pc out of it ..so i might have to wait another 20 years before they die of natural cause

5. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

Yea, i've read about that in Wikipedia too that although the screen is 15", it only displays about 14"

"15-inch (13.8-inch viewable) shadow-mask CRT screen with 1024 x 768 pixel resolution"

-Wikipedia

so i think that if i actually fit in my laptop's screen, it wouldnt be much of a problem.

MacHamster68 maybe you could just buy a cheap one off ebay for about 15 bucks and you could just disassemble it yourself(although i would recommend because you have to be really careful so that the screen doesnt break and release poisonous gas or have about 15000 volts of electricity run through your body)

this is why im looking for G3 cases only.

thnx!

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes maybe i will one day , i have no fear of crt's , i love crt displays