Rebuilding iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AaronBlackburn, May 7, 2011.

1. AaronBlackburn macrumors newbie

Hi guys, first off I appreciate ANY help whatsoever, I am rather desperate here. I have bricked by iPhone 3GS and it is stuck at the connect to iTunes Screen. When I try to restore it, it seems to work then gets stuck on the last tiny bit of restore and gives the error "This iPhone cannot be restored. Unknown Error 1002" I have tried using TinyUmbrella, RecBoot and Fixrecovery with no prevail. I think this bricking was caused when I was attempting to jailbreak the 4.3.3 firmware however I got a bit carried away whilst trying to get the ipad multitasking features and forgot to first restore the iphone to 4.3.3. I attempted to jailbreak 4.3.3 whilst actually on 4.3.1. I used redsnow rc15 and ticked install cydia as well as "Install iPad Baseband". Now I'm not sure how to revert to my previous baseband as I have no access to my phone due to it being stuck on the connect to iTunes screen. Once again I'm really desperate and any help is greatly appreciated.

2. mosec macrumors newbie

Well, people are probably confused because you are talking about iphone 3gs and later about ipad. What device do you have?

One thing you could try is restoring your device to a official firmware on a different computer (one that hasn't been used for jailbreaking before) and see what happens. That's if you don't need unlock!

3. AaronBlackburn thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3GS, there is an option in the Jailbreaking tool that installs the iPad baseband on your iPhone to allow the multitasking gestures that were previously unique for iPad. I can't restore to ANY firmware because I get the 1002 error. I don't require an unlock, it's a vodafone iPhone. I will try the other computer and get back to you. Thanks for the reply :)

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you don't need to unlock. Why did you install the iPad baseband? If you read dev blog, once you have the iPad baseband on the phone, you can't install or restore to apple official firmware. Therefore, you need to restore it to customs firmware only. If you have Mac, use pwnage tool to cook a customs firmware, put the phone in DFU mode and restore it to thar customs firmware.

5. AaronBlackburn, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011

AaronBlackburn thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed the iPad baseband because it allows you to get the multitasking gestures like 4 finger swiping. I didn't read that. What I did was pretty stupid. I do have a mac, and I shall try that thankyou :)

I'm trying to use the pwnage tool but it won't accept 4.1.3 or 4.3.3 firmware. Do I have to use 4.1 or lower?

I've tried the custom firmware but iTunes says the iPhone is ineligible for this build?

6. AaronBlackburn thread starter macrumors newbie

Rebuilding iPhone 3GS

Hey guys. I was just wondering, as I have completely bricked my iPhone 3GS and I am 95% positive there is no way to fix it, is there a way you can build an iPhone 3Gs from scratch if you have the actual physical device? Even if you can erase the current folders/library and replace it with new ones that would be appreciated. I know what I'm asking for is quite unrealistic but any help is appreciated. :)

7. discordante macrumors member

discordante

How did you manage to brick your iP3GS? That's quite a feat honestly.
    Can't you do a full restore?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

How are you sure you bricked it. Unless you are an expert hacker wanting to brick it, you can't brick it. The worst you could do it interrupt a baseband update and cause it to never be used as a cell phone again.

9. AaronBlackburn thread starter macrumors newbie

And how would I restore it if I interrupted the baseband?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put it into DFU Mode (Google it) and restore with iTunes. The restore will probably fail with a 10XX error. Just use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode. But the baseband will be forever bricked and the iPhone will become an iPod Touch.

How do you know its bricked?

11. AaronBlackburn thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not a novice at this kind of thing. I have tried everything mentioned in the afore posts and it has had no prevail. And I will not sell the device for measly sums of money like that.

12. WRXface macrumors regular

the only way it'll be bricked if is as you were jailbreaking and when you see that pinapple running and it says (flashing baseband - dont interuppt) and you pulled the cable out and your battery was totally dead. than about 98% you have a bricked iphone.

or as itunes was updating the firmware and you pulled the cable and again a dead battery then it is bricked.

just so people understand a bricked iphone is when there is no OS on the phone.

i am pretty sure that if your able to get it into dfu [which might not happen] and load the latest firmware that was on there or the latest one for your phone.

there is a bunch of options also to test it out.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You are avoiding the most important question here: How/why do you say it is bricked?

14. AaronBlackburn thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically my intentions were to jailbreak the new 4.3.3 firmware and enable the iPad multitasking gestures (4 finger swipes) yet I got carried away and forgot to first update my iPhone 3GS and attempted the jailbreak whilst on 4.3.1. I know this was stupid but I totally forgot, as I regularly jailbreak. So basically whilst in redsnow rc15 I ticked cydia and iPad baseband. When I attempt to restore to custom firmware it says that the iphone is ineligible and when I try to restore to legit firmware it gives the baseband error 1002. So I need to restore the baseband if possible? I don't know much about basebands.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's easy to fix. You need to remove all references to gs.apple.com from your hosts file (Google how), use PwnageTool or Sn0wsbreeze to make a custom 4.3.3 IPSW for your iPhone, put your iPhone into a Pwned DFU Mode with Redsn0w, restore your iPhone to the custom IPSW.

16. lmarr28 macrumors newbie

I'm actually in the same boat, except I wasn't trying to jailbreak. I had just upgraded my 3GS to 4.3.3, but when I connected it to my PC again a little later to sync my contacts, the iPhone rebooted itself mid-sync (it had a full battery). Ever since then, it's been stuck in restore mode. When I try to restore in iTunes (I've tried three different PCs), it gets to the very last bit of the restore process and fails with an error 1002.

I've actually tried the steps outlined in the quote above. That got the phone to a state where it would boot to the "Emergency Call" screen. However, it will not pick up a cell signal now (it says "Searching"). When I connect it to iTunes, it tells me that there is no SIM card detected. So, I put it into DFU mode and attempted another restore from iTunes, but that put me back into the same situation I was in originally - It fails at the last bit with an error 1002.

17. AaronBlackburn thread starter macrumors newbie

I've edited my host files yet it still says my phone is ineligible?

18. WRXface macrumors regular

you're probably loading the wrong firmware into redsn0w make sure the IPSW starts with iPhone2,1 that is for the 3Gs

19. AaronBlackburn thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what firmware I'm using.

20. yazgar macrumors newbie

This is exactly where I'm at now with my 3GS. Different cables, different pc's, same 1002 error right at the end of restoring firmware. Am I stuck in the 1002 DFU loop I've been reading everywhere? Is there a safe way to fix this so I still have a phone?? any advise would be great at this stage :(

21. marketmaker macrumors newbie

I have same issue on a stock 3gs, never unlocked or jb'ed

Just went into the restore loop during charging, and any and all efforts I have read about online, including the above suggestions, have not worked. yazgar's scenario is pretty close to mine.

Seems like it has happened to quite a few people, and especially recently based on the posts I have gone thru.

Since this is an out of warranty phone, I don't want to pay Apple if they don't have a solution, but that is my next call. Will update here if that is successful

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yes, it will always say that because you updated to the iPad BB, once you go up to the iPad BB you will always have to use a custom FW and can never more use :apple: official FWs'.

23. Ponchobot macrumors member

I think you might be confused here as to what install ipad baseband does. It's basically for the 3G, and the 3GS to be used with a different carrier if the baseband they have isn't currently unlockable. When you tick the little button "Install Multi-Touch Gestures" then you will get the gestures that you're talking about. But i'm not 100% cirten about this, i wanna say that you can only use them if you're on an iphone 4. Again, i'm not positive on this. But with you having the iPad baseband, you'll have to create a custom firmware for 4.1 through sn0wbreeze or the mac too. And edit the host files as said above, then just put it into p0wned DFU mode and restore it with your custom firmware that you just made. But clicking Shift + restore. There you go, let it go through the process. Some times it honestly just takes a few attempts. I've had to go through this process a lot lately and that's what i've found works every time. Now as far as updating it back up to 4.3.3.. you're on your own. i've never successfully accomplished that.

24. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The baseband has nothing to do with multitasking gestures. Unlock =/= jailbreak

25. AaronBlackburn thread starter macrumors newbie

It does, it enables ipad multitasking features.