Rebuilding the iTunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macstatic, Mar 24, 2017.

1. macstatic, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017

macstatic macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to rebuild an iTunes library? I'm trying to clean up things (delete files/playlists I don't need etc.) but find that I have lots of files inside the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/ folder which doesn't show up in iTunes itself (mostly PDF files ("books") and Podcasts).

I was hoping there's a way to make iTunes rescan its iTunes Media folder and update its library. I've searched the web for info, but could only find ways to re-import earlier libraries.
    Other suggestions have been to delete the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Library.xml files which will supposedly be rebuilt once you start iTunes again, but this only results in iTunes complaining that a library isn't found.

I'm using iTunes 12.5.5.5. on OSX 10.9.5.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not that this will help, but I along with others, the ability to push a button and have it rescan your library has been requested for a while now. I still don't know why this hasn't been built in to iTunes.

I am watching this thread to see if someone has a script or something that does this also as I too am interested.

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, so no real solution then?
    If there's no way to "synchronize" the library with the actual files on the drive (Adobe Lightroom has this feature for photos which is very useful sometimes!), is there a way I can rebuild the library even if I have to sacrifice my playlists?

About the missing PDF files: I've always added PDF files (artist info etc) to iTunes, but I have a feeling the reason I no longer see them is because iTunes has changed. There's an app called iBooks which I haven't used but just tried and turned up loads of PDF files. I don't know if these are the ones iTunes previously had or if it's just scanned my entire hard drive and made a library of it...?
    I have no idea why I can't see the Podcast files though.

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I have always just used the Add to Library menu item and pointed it at my existing library - iTunes will grind away for a while and add the new stuff. That said, I have not done this for a while. Make backups, no warranty expressed or implied, etc., etc.

A.