Rebuit MBP and is quite slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jpmccormack, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jpmccormack macrumors newbie

Grettings and a Happy New Year to all!,

Right, about 4 months ago I upgraded to 4GB RAM in my MBP (10.5.6). Before XMAS I decided to rebuild my Mac from scratch as I had messed around with it last year and wanted to start 2009 off on a good footing. Before the rebuild the mchine was really fast and overall I had no problems. The main reason for rebuilding was to see if I could squeeze any more speed out of it.

So, last week I rebuilt from the original CD's, using all the default settings and defaults. After the rebuold I downloaded all the updates. Now the problem is that the new build is really slow and jumpy;-

1) It is like it is a few seconds behind all commands. If I click on something it takes about 5 seconds for it to open.
    2) The typing is jumpy and sometimes it takes a second or two for a word to come up on screen afer I have typed it.
    3) Start up time is not as fast.

They are just a few examples of the problems I am having.

Should this be happening giving the fact that I have rebuilt, am using 4GB of RAM and only has MS ofice installed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and looking forward to some help :)

Thanks,

Stephen

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, no it shouldn't. If you've just formatted and it's not too much trouble, I'd suggest trying again. Oh, and are you fully patched up?

3. jpmccormack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think their is anyway to avoid rebuilding from the start?? This will take me several hours and I dont have huge time on my side right now.. I wish I did :-(

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I could be cause your OS is rebuilding it's index?
    Also, did you try checking all it's permissions?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. jpmccormack thread starter macrumors newbie

i am pretty new to Mac so dont really know if it is rebuilding index or how to check permissions.. It has been doing this ever since i rebuilt it???

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How long ago was that?

By the way, unless you're talking about hardware, the correct term would be "reinstall".

8. nigrunze macrumors regular

1) Indexing is what allows you to use spotlight to quickly search for files. When you first install Mac OS X Leopard, the hard drive will be reading and writing whatever it needs to build the index. It's automatic. Your computer might be a bit slow while this happens. Since you posted yesterday, the indexing should be finished now.

2) To verify/repair permissions, you need to use disk utility. Spotlight it, or go to "/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility". Click the Mac OS X partition (if you only have 1 partition, you can click the drive as well) and then choose to repair or verify disk permissions. "Verify" will verify, "Repair" will both verify, then repair the permissions. Unfortunately, in Leopard, it takes quite a bit longer to verify or repair permissions than it did in Tiger, so you'll need to be patient. If you want, you can also choose to "Verify Disk".

Give us an update after you repair your permissions and let us know if it had any permissions to repair. Hope you can bring the speed back to the computer.

Also, do you have less than 10% free space on your hard drive?