Recall a message in Apple Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phalewhale, May 25, 2008.

1. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to recall a sent message in Apple Mail?

I've sent something to someone asking a question, but I have found the answer so I wanted to recall the message.

I can categroically state that the message I'm trying to recall is nothing filthy or anytihng like that! :cool:

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Don't think it can be done.

I always found the "recall" thing to be somewhat silly; at my previous job management would sometimes send out an email by accident. When they figured it out, they'd try to recall it. THing is, manager-types all used outlook, but us engineers (most employees fell into this category) used clients like Pine or emacs for mail. So instead of recalling the message, we'd get TWO messages: the first message, and a "mr. manager would like to recall the other message" message.

Normally we'd ignore messages from management (usually some 2-line memo formatted as a powerpoint attachment for maximum inconvenience to the 90% of employees who ran linux or solaris), but when we got that "would like to recall" message we'd race to open the misdirected email to see whose salaries had accidentally been revealed.

Good times.

3. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

I know what you're saying. The person in question uses outlook - he has no choice - but even if he had a choice, outlook is probably what he'd continue to use. It's no big deal - it just means my message will sit on the server until he logs in in a weeks time... Didn't wanna have to send another mail saying forget about the previous one!

Thanks anyway!