recalled macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dopeyman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I just got a hold of a 15" MBP that has the recall issue with the video...

The guy I got it from doesn't know if it's had it done since he's the second owner.

Is there a way to see if it's had the work done to it?

Also, do they switch out the whole board or do these have separate video cards?

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Take it to apple and ask them to check it. They switch out the logic board. I had an issue with my macs graphics card (different model) and they switched out the logic board.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

FYI though, They won't just switch it out because it's covered under the recall, it has to exhibit problems. Doesn't matter if it's been done before, as the replacement boards are not an improvement on the originals. They'll replace 5 if they're still within the coverage period.

4. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

True, but if he wants to know if his product is defective a trip to an :apple: store would work.

5. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

well I was hoping I can get away with something..

seems like the logic board is out cause it's not recognizing the internal drive.. so I was hoping I can take it in and tell 'em its the video issue and get it replaced.. I'm able to boot from external (I'm using it now)...

oh well... I guess I'll just get rid of this....

thanks for the input!!

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Why don't you just install a new HDD? Does it start at all without the external connected? Do you get the "missing HD" symbol?