Recalled part on 'liquid damaged' MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JeffR, Oct 13, 2009.

1. JeffR macrumors member

JeffR

Hi,
    I'm curious if anyone else has run into this:

Two years ago I had a spill on my MBP - the machine has run fine since then, but recently it started acting up and I put it in for service. Of course, they found evidence of the spill. I can't prove it wasn't the source of the problem, and they can't prove that it was - but regardless, I admit there was a spill so I can't really whine too much.

Here's the issue, however - the problem I'm having is described *exactly* in the nVidia 8600M recall: either a blank screen when the machine is running, or distorted graphics (TS2377). The recall notice says "If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MBP has failed, or fails within three years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of change, even if your MBP is out of warranty." (my emphasis)

Apple says that the liquid damage voids the warranty - I agree, that's clearly stated in the terms. But, their recall pretty clearly says that the warranty doesn't matter in this case. And I argued that a recall indicates Apple admits responsibility for a defective part, so anything I did should be irrelevant.

Has anyone had success arguing a similar situation? Does this my logic seem reasonable (or unreasonable) to anyone?

Jeff

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

"out of warranty" means that it has run out timewise, not that it has been voided by end-user action. So you have no claim there.

3. JeffR thread starter macrumors member

JeffR

Yeah, that thought occurred to me too - 'out of warranty' does carry that implication, I guess. :(

What about replacing the video card myself? I've done it on my Dell. Might be hard to find an 8600M GT, not sure.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's not a card. It's a chip surface mounted on the logic board. You can buy logic boards from sites such as http://www.ifixit.com/

5. JeffR thread starter macrumors member

JeffR

Hmm. Is this reasonably replaceable, then? My Dell laptop had a sort of card arrangement for the GPU, rather than the GPU chip itself going directly into the MLB. It might be worth just paying for the chip to be replaced without warranty/recall coverage.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The Apple Store won't replace the chip: it's not really possible. They will replace the whole logic board. It's do-able as an individual if you are careful, methodical and patient. ifixit have step-by-step guides...

Did you get a quote from Apple. I'd expect it to be $800+...

7. JeffR thread starter macrumors member

JeffR

Yes, $1300. But I assumed they wanted to replace more than 'needed' to be replaced, based on the assumption that the liquid damage fried the whole machine. As I said, two years of operation suggest to me that this is not necessary. BUT, I was also operating under the assumption that the GPU was a separate unit that could easily be replaced without removing the MLB, which is apparently not the case.

At ifixit, I only see full MLB repacements, which is what I guess you said Apple would do anyway. A place out in Fresno (dttservice.com) apparently can to it for a lot less than ifixit charges for the parts...

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Never heard of them, but if they can do it then that's clearly a good deal :)

9. JeffR thread starter macrumors member

JeffR

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll see about getting the MLB replaced. I already got a new MBP for myself - but I'm hoping to get damaged this one working to give to my sister - as long as it's reasonable.

And... will be careful not to spill! Actually, I'm going to insure my MBP instead of getting AppleCare this time. Insurance usually covers drops, spills, and theft as well, which seems like a good deal.

10. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Wait, the document says:

even if your MBP is out of warranty

And they are still saying no? True the liquid damage cancels the warranty, but in their words they say that doesnt matter. This is where the constant inconsistiancy of apple repairs really shows.

If I were you I would call every Apple phone number you can find until they agree to fix the recall issue. If you still dont get anywhere there has to be some consumer protection agency that will back you in getting them to perform the recall work regardless of the state of the computer.