Reccomend a DVD Copy software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vexious, Jul 20, 2008.

1. vexious macrumors member

I'm looking for something that i can easily copy one of my dvd's and also burn a copy to another disc. If anyone can recommend an easy to use, simple and efficient program let me know. Thanks!

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Popcorn is good for burning DVDs.
    I think MacTheRipper is the best for copying DVDs.
    If you want to copy (backing up is what you're doing I'm guessing ;)) the latest DVDs then you'll need to donate some money and get the latest 3.014M version.
    Here's the link on how to do that (once you've signed up with the boards)

3. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

For your needs, MacTheRipper is perfect, just like pjrobertson said before! It's also free.
    However, MacTheRipper is just a ripping tool. It copies the DVD data (.vob, .vts, etc.) from your copy-protected DVD to your harddrive!
    What it can't do is shrink the DVD data, to make it fit on a single 4.3GB DVD, or even burn it!

If you need to shrink the DVD data, you can use DVD2One! It's trial software and costs about $40.

In order to burn the shrunken DVD data, you can use any burning app.
    I use Roxio Toast by default. In my opinion, it's the best burning tool for OS X, but it's also kinda expensive ($79.99)!
    Toast can shrink your DVD data while burning it, so you won't need DVD2One!
    You might also want to check out Disco! It's a cheaper alternative ($19.95) to Toast and can do about the same stuff. Also, it's pure eye-candy!

Roxio Popcorn can copy (ONLY UNPROTECTED DVDs), shrink and burn the data, but apart from encoding, compressing and basic editing of videos, you can't use it for much more!
    Sure, it's cheaper ($39.99) than its big brother Toast, but it's also a stripped version!
    It's not qualified for other stuff (data-, music-, bootable-CDs/DVDs, etc.)!

Method 1: MacTheRipper + DVD2One + Disco = $59.99 (GOOD)
    Method 2: MacTheRipper + Roxio Toast = $79.99 (BEST, MOST REWARDING)
    Method 3: MacTheRipper + Roxio Popcorn = $39.99 (CHEAPEST)

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Fast DVD Copy is a great application to use; then after ripping the TS_VIDEO directory, then use the directory contents to create a new dvd :D