Reccomend me an e-reader!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kinkster, May 31, 2010.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

For whatever reason, I can read material on my computer much more easily and without getting distracted as much as I do with a book. I guess its just psychological, an association between books and school.

So I'm looking for an e-reading app. Features important to me:

Ability to go full screen
    Ability to read many different formats

Optimally I'd like to achieve this with just one app, but if it has to be different apps for different books that's okay.

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Sorry, but I don't really understand. Do you want an E-reader app for your computer or do you want an E-reader like a Amazon Kindle?

3. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

E-reader application. Looking around it looks like the main options are bookstore specific apps which require annoying conversions to display a wide variety of formats. May just stick with preview for now unless I hear of something better.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yes, I would just stay with Preview for now. It can read most formats without you having to get loads of different applications for different formats and E-book suppliers.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

You might want to stick around to see if anyone else has any thoughts or tips - I don't really use E-books much so I'm not much of a help.

6. Riverrun macrumors regular

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. Your e-reader is dictated by the format of your content. If you purchase electronic content from Amazon.com, then you must use either a dedicated Kindle or the Kindle application for your favorite digital device. If you purchase from Barnes & Noble, then you must use the nook e-reader or the nook application. If your content is in PDF format, then you may use any PDF reader or an e-reader that handles PDF content. Each of these applications are available on all major platforms including Windows, Mac, iPad, and iPhone.

The takeaway message is that you are asking the wrong question. If you Google "ereader," however, then you will find some small name ereaders that have been eclipsed by the Kindle, nook, and iPad.

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

A bit off topic, but I'm the exact opposite. I prefer to read a book rather than read on the computer because I end up constantly fiddling with the settings and views all the time (I guess I am just a tinkerer). I also can read a book for hours without getting eyestrain or a headache like on a computer.

I appreciate this isn't getting your question answered so I will stop posting stuff like this :)

9. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay guys thanks for the advice. Looks like I will stick to a PDF reader for now.

R94N, it's interesting how different it can be from one to the other (regardless of which is found to be better). For me I think Iv developed a fast efficient method of reading stuff on the web, so if I put a book on my screen I'll automatically use it. With real books, I'm more likely to move slowly and try to digest all the details.

i hope this doesn't develop into an excuse to get an ipad :rolleyes:

10. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I don't mean to be rude, but what do you mean by that? Don't you like the iPad? it's hard to judge people's real thoughts just through text :)

11. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah I love it, I just can't justify putting down $500 for it. And I was jokingly hoping that I don't start telling my self its worth it (for me) just for it's ereading capability.

12. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm running into a problem with Preview. In full screen mode I can't zoom in, and it displays the page with small text and a large white space below the current page.

Anyway to overcome this, or another PDF viewer with better fullscreen viewing?

13. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I don't use Preview much so I'm not sure how to view in full screen. It could be something to do with the sidebar, but I'm not sure. If anybody else passing by could help out, that would be great.