Receipt and business card scanners?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jent, Jan 4, 2011.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I was thinking about buying a small scanner for general scanning, and then I heard that there are scanners aimed specifically at scanning receipts and business cards. This seems like a great idea (for archiving receipts and tracking spending, as well as filing tax returns), and I was wondering which scanner you recommended. With general scanners I've had in the past I've run into a lot of bad luck with drivers and scanner software not getting updated as the OS got updated, meaning my scanners became obsolete very quickly.

Can anyone recommend a scanner because of great hardware and software? Thanks for any information!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not cheap, but I've used several CardScan readers over the years and they're pretty amazing. They'll read business cards, even if they go in the scanner sideways or at an angle and they read all but a very few unusual fonts.

http://www.cardscan.com/products/core_contact_mgmt/mac/index.asp

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Fujitsu Scansnap models are liked by Mac users, but not cheap.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I enter that stuff in manually into my Address Book, Quicken, etc. Plus, it is one less thing cluttering up my desk.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Be very careful with Fujitsu scanners. Before buying one, check each specific model on Fujitsu's website. Fujitsu scanners have recently been labeled and advertised as Mac-compatible when they are in fact not compatible with Macs. This false information has only recently been corrected on Fujitsu's website.

Rather than trying to untangle Fujitsu's web of lies, one is better served by examining the offerings from Epson, Canon, and HP. One of these manufacturers is likely to have a scanner than fills the bill.