Receive into one account, send from multiple...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tdhurst, Nov 12, 2007.

1. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I have six email accounts that are all forwarded into one gmail account.

I'd like to set up Mail where I can RECEIVE from JUST the gmail account, but SEND from any of the accounts. Right now I can choose which account to send from, but I'm also receiving from all of them.

Might anyone know how to do this? I'd basically like one incoming server and multiple outgoing.

Any ideas?

I'm on Leopard.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Can you just uncheck the "Include when automatically checking for new mail" option from all the accounts you don't want to receive from?

3. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

No, because then if I ever click "Get Mail" it will download from all accounts.

If I just create and then disable the accounts, it removes that account from my sending options too.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You could set up a rule that moves all mail received from those accounts directly to the trash.

5. DanB91 macrumors 6502

go to preferences in mail, go to the account u want to use. uncheck "use only this server" under outgoing

6. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmm...

That's a Leopard thing, isn't it? I just noticed that.

7. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

nope

Tried that, but it is still sending as my gmail address, which the smtp server rejects.

Weird.

8. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

In your Gmail account settings, add all the email addresses you want to send from separated by commas in the 'Email address' field. Then, when you're composing a message, a drop-down menu will appear giving you the option of which address to use when sending your message. You'll obviously then need to match up SMTP servers and outgoing addresses as you send messages if some (all) of your SMTP servers won't allow you to send mail except from their specific address.

9. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Thanks

Richard Flynn, you are my hero. Your tip is here (http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862) too, I guess I just overlooked it.

Thanks a ton. Let me know when you're in Phoenix, I'll buy you a beer. This just simplified my email by about ten fold.