receive mail in bacground

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carigealta, Jan 17, 2008.

1. carigealta macrumors newbie

I am using a Ibook G4 and want mail to be picked up in background, that is when the program is not in the foreground and another app is in the foreground. it should work but isn't working. can someone tell me what problem might be schedule and everything set up properly. thanx.

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

just set mail's preferences to check every one minute.

3. carigealta thread starter macrumors newbie

I went into Schedules and set send and receive for one minute but not doing it in hte background. would be grateful if you could give me details as to how to set up as must be making a mistake. also, wondering if it would work while machine is in sleep mode. many thanks.

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Nope, that's all there is to it. What makes you think it's not checking for new mail while the program is in the background?

Edit: Wait, what do you mean you set send and receive in Schedules? There's no such window called "schedules" and there's no option for when to send mail as far as I know. Are you sure you're talking about Apple's Mail.app program?

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Mail works for me just being on in the Dock; I think that qualifies as background. I think you need do check your settings more carefully; then we can help you more effectively.

6. carigealta thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry, I use Entourage not Mail and my question was about Entourage. Can anyone answer question about background use with Entourage. Thanx.

7. kellah macrumors regular

The procedure for Entourage should be the same as for Mail. Tell it to get new mail every minute (in preferences somewhere, probably), and then just open up Entourage and keep it in the background (ie, don't quit it).

8. carigealta thread starter macrumors newbie

It is set the way you say and has been set that way for a long time, but isn't working. I must be doing something wrong but I don't have a clue what. If you can tell me anything I should do at this point I would be grateful. Thx.