Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applepie555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
I am planning on traveling this summer out of the US. I am planning on keeping data roaming off to prevent me from having to deal with At&T's massive data roaming fees, and limit usage to calls and texts only. However I realized that by disabling data roaming I would be unable to recieve MMS, and to get MMS I would have to disable roaming, likely causing to phone to download stuff in the background leading to massive fees.

I would like to be able to restrict my phone from downloading stuff in the background while still allowing me to get MMS, which only uses your domestic txt allowance. I have heard that this can be done by changing the data apn so only mms works, but I am unsure how to do this. Any ideas?

I have a jailbroken iPhone 4S on AT&T

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Not sure if it's possible. You cannot receive mms without using carrier data.
You should use iMessage or email since it's free.
Mms data will still cost you roaming charges to send and receive.

Last edited:

applepie555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Really old thread but I was abroad recently, if Data is on but Data Roaming is off your phone should not use any data but you can still send and receive MMS. I didn't test but I believe turning off data altogether will prevent sending and receiving mms, so just turn off data roaming but not data altogether

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.