Received 2.8GHz replacement for 2.53 Aluminum MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James17, Nov 7, 2008.

1. James17 macrumors 6502

I think Apple has made a mistake. The replacement that I've just received has a 2.8GHz processor inside which I assume is the BTO option. My original MBP was the top 2.53GHz standard model. I'm quite happy. :D

How can I check if the HDD is 7200RPM just incase?

I will call them on Monday as I'm very honest about things like this.

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Use system profiler to the get the drive number under the S-ATA section. Then google that number to see what the drive is.

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

If you that honest you would ring them now ;)

I would ring apple and say your not sending it back because its their fault :)

Dont no how to check the 7200rpm part...

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

take the battery cover off and look?

not much easier than that.

5. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea what he said :)

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Lucky! :eek:

I seriously doubt Apple would want it back. You're happy, its less paperwork if you keep it and you must have already opened the box before realizing this terrible mistake, n'est-ce pas :D

7. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Turns out they done it on purpose as a goodwill gesture since I've been having so much trouble with MBP's. That was so nice of the person who done it for me.

8. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Well I've heard of a similar thing happening back last year, just after the 2.6GHz units begun shipping. A friend of mine got his 2.2 replaced with a 2.6GHz unit during a repair. However, after a second repair, he got another 2.2, and Apple stated to him that the first was because that was the only replacement unit available, but that rightfully they only needed to give him 2.2GHz.

9. RJones macrumors newbie

Thats kinda low, its like giving you gift and they taking it away.

10. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Well technically they didn't just take it back... He had a major repair, and they gave him what he paid for... after being nice to him.

11. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Upgrading and then downgrading a customer is not what I would call good business practice. I would not be satisfied with that. I had my 2.2 replaced with a 2.6 board when my nVidia chip died. If it happens again and they replace it with a 2.2, I'll be making some phone calls. Being without my computer for a couple weeks due to a manufacturing fault deserves compensation, especially in this price bracket.

12. md1626 macrumors newbie

13. allanibanez macrumors regular

Awesome stuff, saved yourself a chunk of change there my friend! Enjoy the new MBP.

14. jamestemroot macrumors member

15. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Congrats, apple rules, thats why theyre support is the best, enjoy your 2.8ghz Glassbook Pro.

16. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've had around 5 Penryn MBP's. They had issues such as vertical stripes, broken 8600 cards and scratches. I got a 2.53GHz Unibody MBP and within a few days of receiving it, the fans started to make a loud noise even when the computer was idle. I sent a recording to the person who's dealing with my case and they deemed it unacceptable and passed it to engineers. I accepted a 2nd MBP and yesterday when it came, the sheet on the side of the box said MBPRO 15/2.8/2*2G/320 and I was shocked about the 2.8 bit, I thought it was a mistake at first. Turned the laptop on, set it up and went to about this mac and sure enough it says 2.8GHz. Got in contact with Apple and it turns out they selected that upgrade on purpose for all the trouble. The person at Apple said they didn't want to spoil it so left it as a surprise until I received it. Good surprise!

I can't fault the service I am receiving as a result of the problems with the MBP's. I sent a bouquet of flowers to the person at Apple as a token of my gratefulness for their professionalism and friendliness in getting the case resolved.

I'm praying this MBP is the perfect one I've been so desperately waiting for!

17. six.four macrumors 6502

I'd say this is pretty common for a company.

Every single part/computer that I've had repaired/replaced by dell has always been upgraded. I've never had a single return/replacement that didn't - and I've done many, many return/replacements over the years.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that this doesn't happen more often with Apple return/replacements.