received an airport Express...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zim, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. zim macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2002
    I received an airport Express as a gift and am questioning if I should keep it or exchange it for an ABS Extreme. My current set up is as follows: an ABS (Graphite original version, serves as main entry point), and an airport Express for AirTunes in the living room.

    My goal is to replace the Graphite ABS with newer technology.

    My options:
    1. Exchange the Express for the Extreme (paying the difference) and replacing the Graphite ABS with the Extreme.

    2. Keep the Express and replace the Graphite ABS with the Express.

    If I do keep the Express and eliminate the Graphite ABS:
    1. Can I use it as a wireless printer connection as well as a main source for internet at the same time?

    2. Is there any real reason why I might want the Extreme instead? Looks to me like you get, with the exception of the extra ethernet port, more lights, which I do like but can live without.

  2. iBS23 macrumors member

    Mar 30, 2005
    I'd keep the express. The biggest advantage the Extreme offers is more users. Since it sounds like you're in a residential setting, you should be fine with the express.
  3. jaw04005 macrumors 601


    Aug 19, 2003
    The Extreme is going to provide coverage for a larger area of your home. If you don't need the coverage, keep the express—my advice would be to purchase a used Extreme and use it in conjunction with your new Express with bridging.

    Apple's Express and Extreme are one of only a few wireless routers that natively support WDS out of the box.
  4. zim thread starter macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2002
    I looked on the apple hardware page and it list that the Express and Extreme both get the same range: 50-foot range for 54 Mbps and 150-foot range for up to 11 Mbps. I have a single floor layout so if there is any benefit to the Extreme then I might not see it. I am also thinking that maybe I just keep the gift use it as the primary, seeing how I do have a secondary Express already in the living room, and continue to save up for the Extreme (maybe they will update it's design by the time I can buy it). Thanks for the advice!

    Most likely this is what I will do, keep it. I do like the Extreme but it is more ascetics then anything... also, I have been saving up for the Extreme and that money is still sitting, might as well just continue saving for it. I really would wish that they would update the Extreme's body so that it matched the current designs, white on white or grey on white logo. Thanks!
  5. doucy2 macrumors 65816


    Jul 7, 2005
    okay return the express for apple credit, then sell the graphite, buy an extreme and if you need to pay the difference
    the extreme is going to have longer range, than either
  6. zim thread starter macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2002
    Do you really think that the Graphite is wroth money?

    I know that this is not a decision that must be made asap so I might wait till after the January Apple show.. not that I think there will be a new ABS but who knows.

Share This Page