Received "AppleCare" sealed box in mail yet don't have one?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TruZeus, Jul 14, 2011.

1. TruZeus macrumors newbie

The other day I received a box in the mail that had a sealed box for AppleCare for an iMac. I did not buy an iMac though I wish I could afford it but non the less here I have a sealed box for an iMac. Does this mean someone else bough an iMac and their AppleCare was dropped off or shipped to the wrong house?

I have no idea what to do with it since I don't own an imac. My friend said he would give me some money for it but with it being perhaps someone else's AppeCare would the SN# or code that is in this box already be registered to them?

Anyways, I this kicking around now just figuring out if it's garbage or what? Don't have a mac so not sure if I should toss it or what.

Thank you,

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

return it to Apple ... it belongs to someone ... go for some good Karma

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Contact whoever shipped it and ask them what they want done with it. Legally it isn't yours.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Is the address on the package yours?

If not, try to contact the destination address, and tell them you have their computer.

If it is...contact Apple, maybe they know who it rightfully belongs to.

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I agree with fireshot91 and talmy, check the address, and if it's close to you, give it to them, or call Apple.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Agree with the other posters. Contact Apple about it. If it's in your name, DEFINITELY contact Apple about it as it could be a fraudulent purchase.

Even if you sell it to your buddy, it's going to get revoked sooner or later anyway once the buyer reports it to their credit card company, and he might just ask you for whatever money he gives you back.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Is it addressed to you? If it isn't, keeping it can be a felony.

Write "return to sender" on it, and drop it off at a post office box if it came through USPS or at a Fedex facility if it came to you via Fedex.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Since it sounds like you already opened the shipping box, you'll need to call Apple to obtain a return label. (Calling the courier and refusing the package, or writing "return to sender" and dropping it in the courier's drop box are good options only if you haven't yet opened the package.)

Alternatively Apple may be able to disable that AppleCare number and have you destroy the package contents rather than returning them. You'd have to call.

1-800-APL-CARE

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

11. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

In the UK if you're sent something you didn't order you're allowed to keep it. The company does have the opportunity to claim it back within 3 months at their expense.