Received e-mail regarding "NVIDIA GPU Litigation" - Is it legit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anician, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Anician macrumors member

Hi, I received the following e-mail today. Has anyone received anything similar to this? Thought it was some scam at first but after reading through it a bit it seems kinda legit. Can anyone shed some light on what this is?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I received it as well, and I believe it to be legit
    There was a settlement and there is a news post about it somewhere here
    I will look for it...

Edit: See stridemat's post below

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I received the e-mail today. There was a news story posted on the front page at macrumors.com yesterday about it.

4. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

It's legit.

My old company is going to get quite a bit of change from that settlement. They bought a bunch of D620 and D820 laptops for people (They issued me a D820 where the motherboard died on it within two months. The replacement D820 was overheating and shutting off, I had to kill SpeedStep.)

5. Aarona68 macrumors newbie

Okay, so what do we do? I have been looking this up, but I have not found much info on it. My wife has a Compaq of the models given, and I have an HP dv6000...both have since went bad.

I would love some help with this. Any info will be great. If I find anything, I will be sure to update here.

6. Aarona68 macrumors newbie

7. switcher3365 macrumors regular

8. quigleymart macrumors newbie

Hi, I also have a macbook pro 2.4 Ghz but bought it as a refurb. The serial number has been removed. I am desperately looking for a serial number for this model in order to replace nvidia card for free. Does anyone have a similar model?

Please HELP!! :(

9. dime21 macrumors 6502

If you have questions, call the people who sent the email. You know, on that telephone thing. They'll tell you if its legit or not.

10. shearhair macrumors newbie

litigation ripoff!

I registered my address with them and got the comformation e-mail, but they never notified me to when we could fill out the claim forms! I called them and got the run around and apparently i'm not the onlyone who didn't receive the info and they wont do anything about it! Who know's maybe they pocket the left over fund money:mad:

11. Love Technology macrumors newbie

litigation ripoff!

The same thing happened with me. They sent me a postcard about the court case in October. I registered with nvidiasettlement.com and gave them all the information about my computer on October 16, 2010. They sent me an email confirmation saying they would notify me about the settlement and I heard nothing back from them. When I went back to the website yesterday, it said they were no longer accepting applications, the deadline was 6 days ago.

So I called the number on the card to find out why they did not contact me at the email address that I registered with nvidiasettlement.com and Christina Sullivan an Assistant Team Leader for the National Campaign Unit said that I should have known that the application period was over because it was on the website. When I asked her how, she said I should have read USA Today, because that's where they have it advertised. Even though they had my all my information (product number, email address, and mailing address) they never sent me anything more about the case settling and what I should do. I will NEVER buy anything from Hewlett Packard again and will NEVER buy anything with a NVIDIA chip in it.