Received email from ATT regarding 3G Scam

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gthegreatone, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Gthegreatone macrumors newbie

Does anybody remember that one post that teaches you how to get the 3G plan for the price of the EDGE Plan by just switching the sim card??? Well, I tried that trick and now I just received an email and a text from ATT saying:

"Our service records indicate that you are using an iPhone 3G with a data plan designed for other devices.
    To avoid unexpected data overage charges and enable Visual Voicemail, please contact your telecom manager, or an AT&T representative at 1-800-331-0500.
    Thank you for choosing wireless from AT&T. We appreciate your business."
    Sincerely,
    AT&T Customer Service

Did anyone that tried this trick get this message?

2. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you should just pay for the 3G plan . . . legally . . . since you are using 3G data.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

4. aneftp macrumors 601

Question for OP:

Are you using your iphone 3g 100% of the time on the illegal data plan or do you switch phones at least once a week?

I did the same trick and haven't received any notices or warnings. I switch between GSM phones frequently and do not use the iphone 3g all the time with the $20 iphone data plan or the $15 media net plan on both of my iphone 3g.

5. Gthegreatone thread starter macrumors newbie

i use it 100% of the time, i think i should start switching it up though so i can get away with it

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

They should just bill people for this. Terminate service for non-payment and then put a blackmark on the credit of anyone who tries this for the next 7 years.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, AT&T monitors the phones you use to connect to their network. They also adjust the services you receive based on the capabilities of the handset.

Nice of them to warn you about potential large charges for data.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I bought an iphone 3g but I sold it and use my 2g all the time. havent received any notice

9. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Every kb you used since they sent that is $.005/kb which means that they're charging you a little over $50 a MB. Enjoy. If I did that scam and they charged me like that, I would owe them over $50k.

10. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I'm just saying, but if I was the OP, I would be scared ********. Haha.

It gave me chills just reading that and I don't even own an iPhone.

Verizon for the win! :rolleyes:

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

G, how many warnings do you think they are going to give you? Eventually you are going to have to go one way or the other, and end up paying the fees for 3G service. SCAM appears to NOT be working...:eek:

12. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I got a message from AT&T too. It said something like what yours said but I'm on a plan for a Curve for a month. I hope they don't try to change it.

13. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

ok, here is the problem though. this is all att's fault. when you put your sim back in you 2g iphone, you cannot connect to itunes without going through the activation process and THEY change your data plan. Its not your faul that they screwed up. they can figure it out for themselves. apple even said that when you upgrade to the 3g iphone you can keep your old iphone as an iPod touch OR as a backup.

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

It was nice of them to give you a warning since you are in fact not on a 3G Plan.

Imagine if they just sent you a bill for a couple of thousand dollars! :eek:

15. Psyxologos macrumors regular

I reckon they should also throw the outlaws in a massive pool of boiling oil too. Maybe 1000 lashes in the centre of the square on a Sunday for a good measure on top of that?

God some people are cattish...

16. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If they did that you would be entitled to sue them several thousand bucks, plus legal costs.

17. mikelliott macrumors member

I have my old 2g and it works as an iPod, but I can also sync all the apps to it too. Of course I can't use certain features, but works great for Wifi and games. I use it mainly as a remote for my Apple TV and iTunes. I have thought about selling it, but I wouldn't take less than $500, so I guess I'll just keep it as a backup.

18. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

and you should be flogged for using poor grammar :rolleyes:

19. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah because those are the same thing. By the way it is called conversational writing.... learn something eh?

20. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

my point being your suggestion is cruel and unusual punishment... it's sarcasm... get it?

21. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Honestly, due to AT&T's terms of service if you read 'em right, if they force you to change your plan/try to bill you for it, you should be able to instantly cancel and not pay an ETF...

It conflicts with two of their policies:
    1. Grandfathered plans.
    2. Openness to devices.

#1 is that if you switch to a new phone and have a cheaper plan you should be able to keep your plan. Obviously, with iPhone's they got around this by needing to sign up for the plan to activate it, but this leads me to #2...

#2 is that any device, locked, unlocked, etc that works on their network, they will let you use it without any finagling of plans.

Meh, while I may not have worded this all that well, it's nonetheless true methinks, haha.

22. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

Let me ask you guys a question....

i received an iPhone 3G without ever signing a 2 year contract for the 3G.

i got it from a friend who bought it but decided to jump ship on his contract... he liked the phone but hated the service.

so he asked me if i would unlock his phone to use on T-Mobile but you cant unlock a 3G phone so i unlocked my old iPhone and he gave me the 3G... i just switched my sim over to the 3G and restored it and added all my info and it works fine.

what do you think the situation is on something like that?

there was no scam here or anything just got the phone without a contract.

23. kspen macrumors newbie

I just got the email and a Text-same message

I was on the original iPhone with Edge, and less that 24 hours ago I switched my SIM from the old iPhone to a previously activated 3G. I got it set up in iTunes, and DID NOT see any terms or contract pages.

I just got the email and text message.

Man, I wanted to keep the old plan for awhile---not just a day.

My main reason was that GSM voice was terrible at my house, but according to AT&T coverage map, 3G was supposed to be better...It isn't, so I will likely go back to the original and sell the 3G at a profit, and purchase a 3G with contract when I am ready.