received email from myself but didnt send it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dukebound85, Dec 4, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so i had two emails from myself this morning from my old school email account to myself consisting only of an image of like pill ads

what is this? last thing i want is emails being sent that arent from myself but seem that way

anyone else experience this?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I'd say it's probably spoofing of your email address. That is someone is sending emails with the recipient being the same as the sender but it doesn't mean they have access to your account. Usually they generate those emails automatically and their program set the same address on the sender and recipient, to bypass some SPAM filters.

I also get those emails from time to time.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Either someone is spoofing your email address or you did send those messages to yourself, but can't remember :D

[​IMG]

I get loads of these at work but they are usually picked up by the spam filter.

4. brendalana macrumors newbie

brendalana

Hi, OllyW...

As my Intego Personal Antispam X5 fails to segregate this spam... care to share with us what your seemingly efficient work spam filter is?

Thank you...

brendalana...

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Your 'old' email address has been trawled or phished by somebody terribly clever, or by a hacking program. There are hundreds of them out there.

You should be able to set the spam filter parameters. For example, I had my email address trawled a couple of times, with the sender apparently being myself - very disconcerting. In the email app I use I set filter 'rules' so that any email from myself to myself got trapped. After a while the nuisance disappeared and hasn't resurfaced.

Update: another email purporting to have come from myself arrived today. What's interesting about it is that, after a delay of perhaps 3 seconds, the 'email' transformed itself into a pharmacy spam graphic and message promoting - you guessed it - sexual aids. I nuked the message. Instead I should have marked it 'junk' because because I want to trace its origins, assuming that can be done.

6. brendalana macrumors newbie

brendalana

G'day, hughvane...

Appreciatively followed your instructions—any email from myself to myself now gets trapped in my "Junk" mail box...

Ciao...

brendalana...

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Mail Marshall. "With prices starting at just £415", it might be a little bit over the top for your needs.

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Unfortunately, having more than one computer and user I send emails to myself every day. The "Content-Type header contains 'multipart/related'" doesn't work on the spam I'm getting now. Guess I'll have to target the subject, "Re: your order", and hope Amazon, etc., don't use that line.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I find Mail.apps junk filter to be very good. I managed to get my spam down to roughly one email a week from about 50. If something came through I would mark it as junk and Mail.app learns what is junk and what is not. Eventually I didn't have to do anything and get little or no junk.

That was until I got my iPhone where I use my email more than my mac now but the iPhone has no junk marker so I am now starting to get more and more spam. I'm up to about 5 a day now. :( I keep meaning to ignore my phone for a week or two and only view and mark email on my mac. It would also help if Me.com mail had a junk marker too, but I don't think it has.

FYI I don't run any other spam blockers.