Received free Griffin Reveal Etch - nice case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 01jamcon, Aug 25, 2010.

1. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Just got my free case from Apple finally. Not sure about the pattern thing on the back, looks different in person, more like those holographic pictures which change depending on the direction you view it from. Cool nonetheless.

iPhone fits snugly and has rubber protection on screen side to lie it down on a table. Fully accessible ports everywhere and nice clicky buttons. No screen protector included.

Some quick notes in case anyone was considering getting it.

2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Good to know because my son and I opted for those free cases, and my wife and other son chose the Bumper however they wound up buying iFrogz cases to have backups.

3. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

cool! mine ships October 1st...... :( ordered August 4th

4. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

I dont know how the "etch" version is but if I were you I would throw it out.

I had the normal griffin reveal and after only a few weeks it put about 10 tiny dents on the back of my iphone. (dirt getting sandwiched between the case and glass) The moment I noticed it I threw it in the trash. I ordered a bumper soon after and it came in the mail today.

5. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I'm fine, I've got a gelaskin sticker on the back and sides to stop scratches. Btw, my bumper scratched up my first iPhone 4 on the steel frame because a piece of dust got trapped under it too. You may still encounter that same issue again.

6. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I would have to disagree with the original poster. I have an Etch case, and I really really dislike it. In fact I called Apple to complain about how much I didn't like it, and all they did was send me ANOTHER etch case.

So now I am left with 2 cases that i do not want. If you have an Etch on order, I would highly recommend changing it to something else! just my opinion.

I even offered my case up for trade with any case possible in the marketplace, and no one else wanted to take up the offer. I can even send the case FIRST, and wait months for any other case. That's how much I dislike it.

7. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Ok, can I ask what you don't like about the case? I mean, yer I can see how the design on the back might not be to everyone's taste but like I said, everything else seems pretty good about it.

8. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I received mine quite a number of weeks ago as my free Apple case. What a mistake. It's really cheap looking. The rubbery sides also don't make the case too "pocket friendly" and they are a bit too flexible.

The case has been relegated to drawer duty.

9. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

I just received the etch. Apple claimed it would ship Oct 1st, up until 1 week ago. Out of the blue, it shipped and I received it way earlier than expected. If your date is showing Oct time frame, I wouldn't worry too much. You'll get it much sooner than they claim.

As for the case, I'm happy with it...but don't think it's great. It looks pretty good, and I'm pleased with the feel of it. My only complaint, is that the rubber (I don't even think it's TPU) surrounding the port is VERY flimsy. After 1 day, the thin rubber strip at the bottom is already sagging a bit. I wished they used a harder rubber or TPU or something.

The volume buttons push easy. The fit is pretty snug. The vibrate button is easy to access. The power button is easy to press. And, the case is fairly slim, but feels pretty well protected.

As I said, I'm just disappointed in the rubber around the port.

10. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Actually I very much LIKE the design on the back as well as the way it feels.

I don't like the rubber edges. They feel flimsy and cheaply made. Also the bottom portion is too loose, since that area the rubber is extra thin. I just prefer a tighter fitting case is all. Still can't believe Apple sent me another one of the same cases.

11. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Got mine today, it's on eBay already
    The fit surrounding the screen was too saggy for my liking.

Gonna buy a speck HD

12. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Haven't seen too much sagging yet cause it is brand new, but now you've pointed it out, the rubber does look flimsy. I have found it rele difficult to take the phone out of the case without feeling like I might break the sides.

Aaargh the whole reason I wanted the iPhone 4 so badly when I first saw the design was because I could stop my iPhone case obsession and here I am with 3 cases and a gelaskin protector already.

13. WilliamG macrumors 604

Ahem...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=995860

14. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

15. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Ok while I understand that you paid quite a bit for a case which I received for free, the alignment stuff you pointed out in your video is still on the minor side as it doesn't really affect the speaker or mic or camera.

I actually appreciate the fact that the headphone cutout is a bit larger than on a bumper for example, it means I can fit all my headphones now instead of only those made to fit the iPhone 2G's recessed port. Same with the dock connector opening. I definitely would choose function over form any day.

16. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I basically ended up going with the Etch through a process of elimination and a recommendation from iLounge:

Bumper: already bought one
    Belkin Shield: had bad experiences with clear shell cases and with other Belkin accessories in the past
    Griffin motif: hated the back design
    Incases: wanted to make sure they would fit over a gelaskin, unlikely with these tight fitting covers
    Speck Fitted case: I liked the look of this quite a lot, not sure if I was "hip" enough to rock it though :cool:
    Speck Pixel Skin: looked like the bottom of my trainers (sneakers?) aka not what I want on my £500 phone

Leaving me only with the Etch which I have to admit looks a lot better in the pictures now I'm checking again, but c'est la vie :rolleyes:

17. nelly41 macrumors regular

Here we go again! LOL. Anytime theres a thread about a griffin reveal clear or etch we get a lot of back and forth going on. People despise it, people love it. I'm just gonna leave it at that. Btw, I like my reveal clear and mine is the revised one with bigger cut out for camera.