Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrzyguy27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
So maybe you guys can help me out with this... My fiance' bought me an ipad 32gb wifi online at the apple store and it arrived today and I was wondering if I should return it and wait for the ipad 2?? (I have not opened it yet and YES I WANT TO OPEN IT)..

I have an Iphone 3gs that I'm happy with and I use an old beat up laptop and she felt bad and gifted me an ipad. What do I do guys? I don't her to be dinged by a 10% restock fee and I dont know if I can return it to a local store. The apple.com site doesn't really say you can.. what to do?? I do want an ipad with facetime if its going to be out in a month or two.. but who knows!? Apple doesn't ever tell us anything until SJ comes on stage..

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
You can return it to the store. I would use it and when gen 2 comes, sell it and buy gen 2. You may lose at most $100. Not bad for getting to use it 4-6 months.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Just enjoy your new iPad. There will not be a new iPad until next year, and the 4.2 update is right around the corner. It is a fantastic device and I use it all the time on a daily basis. I use it more than my Mac desktop most days because I am too busy to sit down at my desk.

Don't let anyone tell you that a new iPad is coming before next year, there is no real evidence to back it up. You can always sell your iPad next year and use the money to get the new one if it is appealing to you.

I would think if you got it as a gift it would seem kind of rude to return the thing just because of some unsubstantiated rumor on the internet. You will look like a jerk when it doesn't come out until March of next year.

jimHdk

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
The next iPad is not likely to be seen until April 2011. Do you want to wait until then for a product with unknown features?

Why not graciously accept a gift given?

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
So maybe you guys can help me out with this... My fiance' bought me an ipad 32gb wifi online at the apple store and it arrived today and I was wondering if I should return it and wait for the ipad 2?? (I have not opened it yet and YES I WANT TO OPEN IT)..

I have an Iphone 3gs that I'm happy with and I use an old beat up laptop and she felt bad and gifted me an ipad. What do I do guys? I don't her to be dinged by a 10% restock fee and I dont know if I can return it to a local store. The apple.com site doesn't really say you can.. what to do?? I do want an ipad with facetime if its going to be out in a month or two.. but who knows!? Apple doesn't ever tell us anything until SJ comes on stage..

It's all speculation at the moment, but general consensus is that a new iPad probably won't see the light of day before late in the first quarter of 2011.

jrzyguy27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
thanks guys :)
I guess I'll go open it up.. its sitting like a paperweight on the dining room table now.. lol

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I love my iPad and would say to use it. If I was a betting man I would bet the next generation iPad won't drop till next April I'd be happy if it came out in December or January because I would definitely upgrade. Like someone else said if this does happen you are likely only going to lose a $100 or so by upgrading and selling your old model and to me it would be worth it.

southbark

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
Keep your iPad and when the new iPad comes out pass the old one to your wife and buy the new one that's what I would do and will do

IamHermann0069

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Agreed... I would just open it. I actually don't know how you were able to receive the package, set it on the table, and log into macroomors.com. I would have torn it open on my way to the computer.

It is an awesome device, and you will not be disappointed. As everyone else has said, Apple products have great resale value. I have upgraded every iPhone on launch day, and sell my (barely year old) at damn near the price I bought it for. It works out nice. I usually end up paying for about 20-30% of my new device (which makes me feel better about upgrading when my other phone is still in great condition) and that is selling to friends and giving them great price. I imagine you could even get better money if you sold on eBay!

I plan on selling my 64 gig iPad 3G to upgrade to the new model. If you sit around waiting for newer versions, you will miss out on a lot of great products. Apple usually waits a year before updating the products, and I would think if they were going to have a new iPad before April, it would have been announced with the rest of the holiday products. But like everything else, that is my own speculation and could be completely wrong.

Anyway, enjoy the iPad and give your fiancé a big kiss! Haha what a great woman! Let us know what you think of your new device.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Open it and enjoy it. I bought mine in April and love it. As others have said I wouldn't expect an updated model before April. At that time I may upgrade to a 3G version, but right now the WiFi version is doing great for my needs,

There will always be a newer better model right around the corner, that's the way technology works. Remember, until Apple officially announces anything, which they haven't, all the rumours about an iPad 2 are just rumours and speculation.

Enjoy the iPad you have now, and when a newer version is released decide then if it would be worth the upgrade. Sometimes it might be better to upgrade every other release, I didn't feel the the 3GS offeref enough changes for me to upgrade from the 3G, so I waited and got the iPhone 4 on release day.

The iPad is a remarkeable device so enjoy it while you have one.

Psychmike

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
Imagine that you've done something extraordinarily nice for your fiancée. Imagine that you've interviewed her friends, found her favorite store, asked the staff what to get, and scored her a great new handbag.

Now imagine that she asks to return it for a different one. Sure, it's important that she gets what she wants. Sure, some givers might not be offended at all. But there's a chance that you might feel a little disappointed. There's a chance she could seem a little less gracious to you.

It's the thought that counts. Hug her. Tell her how much you appreciate the gift. And go buy her a handbag.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Psychmike said:
Imagine that you've done something extraordinarily nice for your fiancée. Imagine that you've interviewed her friends, found her favorite store, asked the staff what to get, and scored her a great new handbag.

Now imagine that she asks to return it for a different one. Sure, it's important that she gets what she wants. Sure, some givers might not be offended at all. But there's a chance that you might feel a little disappointed. There's a chance she could seem a little less gracious to you.

It's the thought that counts. Hug her. Tell her how much you appreciate the gift. And go buy her a handbag.

^this!
Having been the buyer of a decade of gifts that were requested and still returned for something else, it starts to make you wonder why you bother at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.