Received iPhone 4 replacement today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike84, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Alright, since some of you have had a theory here and there about whether Apple has addressed the antenna issue with new batches of phones, I wanted to go ahead and see if there was any truth to this theory.

The forth and fifth digit for this phone is 28. So, based on other threads, I would say this phone was made in week 28? Is that correct? I do not notice any changes on the phone. There is no difference on the metal band that surrounds the phone from my previous one.

I will be sending this one back because it seems there is dust inside the camera, which is odd considering these replacements are supposed to be new and not refurbished.

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Hardware revision has nothing to do with dust. Even the latest and greatest batch will still have issues with dust on some devices, it just happens.

3. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The dust is a side note as to why I am going to send it back for another one. Even Applecare agreed that it was "odd" that it would have dust.

The reason why I posted was because some people have argued that anything above week 25 or 26 has a hardware fix to the phone with respect to call dropping.

4. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

BEFORE YOU DO THAT, Check if it STILL has the antenna problems as your first phone.

1) Update to 4.0.1
    2) Do the Death Grip.
    3) Run the Speed Test App or Check for signal bar drops. REPEAT SEVERAL TIMES.

Report the results back here. :)

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

No, that was never true contrary to what anyone said. I've had a few replacements just to try, as the issue doesn't really effect me in day to day use. The antenna is the same on all Iphone 4 models, anyone who says otherwise is just wrong.

Dust is common, Applecare would be surprised because in essence it's a slight defect during manufacturing, something they probably wouldn't want to admit to.

6. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny you mention the defect in manufacturing. That is what she mentioned to me. She said that it probably happened while it was being made.

7. r&s macrumors newbie

so the bars drop on your week 28 phone when covering the lower left black antenna band?

8. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I upgraded the phone to 4.0.1 and I did a few runs with it.

Yes, it drops about two bars when I do the death grip.

So, no fix guys.

9. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just wanted to follow-up with the battery performance on this replacement is way better than the battery performance on the original phone that I had. It is unbelievable.

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've played around with week 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 and all seem the same. I have noticed that some speakers seem louder/clearer than others as well. It might be just me though.. Battery is definitely an improvement. I can go 2 full days with moderate use/browsing.

11. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for responding.

I am not sure if I can go 2 full days. I usually feel uncomfortable when the phone is around 35%, hence why I connect it. I will definitely, however, give this one a try.