Received iTunes store credit for Tomtom - Question

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by rotlex, Sep 11, 2009.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Question. I reported the issues I was having with Tomtom to Apple this morning through the iTunes store thing. Much to my surprise, I was given an iTunes store credit this evening. (The rep I worked with was great).

Question for anyone who has returned an app. I was under the assumption the app would be automatically removed from my system. It has not been, up to this point at least. I'm going to download Navigon with the credit, but am really not sure what to do with the Tomtom app. I'm not sure about deleting it, as I'm not sure if the system will "look" for it in any way to remove it at some point.

Anyone have any experience with this from a past app store return?

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

You can keep the app if you want. Apple will not try connecting to your computer to check on you, though morally speaking you should be deleting the application.

3. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick response! Wow, that's actually unreal. I realize they can't\wouldn't connect to my machine to delete it, but I figured somehow it would be "removed" from my applications area in iTunes. That's quite trusting of them.

I must say, I was astonished at how easy it was to get the refund. With that said however, I did type a fairly professional memo to them stating a number of reasons as to why I was unhappy with the product.

Anyway, thanks again. Will be deleting, and downloading Navigon shortly.

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Welcome to Navigon :) You are going to love it, trust me.

5. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I just tell you how correct you are already? I didn't want to clutter up the forum with another thread on this, but, since downloading Navigon last night, and trying it our this morning, all I can say is WOW! I'm not normally one to spew random praise and comments on anything, but after using Tomtom for the past 3 weeks, and being very unhappy with it's performance, interface, and functionality, I am very, very happy.

I live in the Lehigh Valley area of PA, and from what I have seen in just a short while of playing with the product, it is head and shoulders above the current Tomtom offering. I have an iPhone 3G, and load times, routing times etc. are considerably faster. The interface is a pleasure to work with, and it actually knows the closest Walmart to me is 1 mile away, and not 8.

I could go on and on, but there are a lot of threads on this already. Let's just say I cannot believe the difference in quality of this app over Tomtom in all areas. Sure, I've only used it for a few hours, but I'm already extremely satisfied with it.

Anyway, to anyone who has not tried both, in the opinion of this user, just buy Navigon. Tomtom may improve in the future, but the companies inability to answer my questions and concerns, and provide absolutely no information to there customers regarding future fixes and updates, has totally turned me off from them.

Thanks Apple for the opportunity to return a product I was not happy with, and thanks Navigon, for providing such an excellent product, as well as information about that product!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is pretty much what I thought as well. I think this is where Apple should actually use that kill switch they have. You paid for something and clearly had some sort of buyer's remorse or whatever the case was. You got your refund, money was taken back from the developer. I would delete it. If it truly was bad then why bother keeping it anyway?

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You also will not be able to upgrade the app anymore. The version that you have is it.

8. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

I always thought that all sales are final from what I have been told from apple and it's terms & conditions but in any case glad to see they stepped up.I to went looking for credit for a app that I was not happy with (Navigon) go figure but I'm glad I stuck with it :)

9. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I too got a refund on a gps app. I noticed I no longer got updates. However I wondered if I tried to buy again from the app store would it recognise that I already had it and allow me to redownload for free?

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

No it would charge you for the app. After all you don't own it anymore. ;)

11. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

There is also the question, if the app was so bad and didn't work, such that you needed a refund, why would you want to either keep it or redownload? ;)

12. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

I guess just to have something for free...?

Just delete it, you won't be able to get any updates & if it sucks so much that you get a refund then there is no need to keep it.

13. astromusic macrumors newbie

So, what were your gripes about TT?

Rotlex: I tried searching, but did not see a post from you regarding what made you so unhappy about TT that you decided to return it. Do you have a post, or, if not, would you mind summarizing the concerns/problems you had?

14. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Make no mistake...people that get a refund for an app don't delete that app. Especially if it's a GPS app. They get their money back and go -hmm, now it's free...guess I'll use it...

15. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't have a big post about it really, just this one with the question. Basically, I simply did not feel the software performed as advertised. While it might seem minor to most, for me, the contact feature was very, very annoying. I NEVER had it work. Believe it or not, that was probably the number one reason, other than Tomtom's non existent customer service, that I decided to return it.

Also, I live in the NE PA area, and to be frank, the navigation was terrible. Slow, innaccurate etc. The POI stuff was also very disappointing. I think I mention earlier about a walmart, but for example, just during testing, I'd ask it to take me to a local McDonalds, and it would never be able to take me to the closest one, in many cases, taking me far past a number of them.

Lastly, I used it for a trip from here to Disney World. While the highway routing was fine, getting around in Disney was terrible. I already know the area, but when asking it to take me from the Wilderness Lodge, to Epcot, it would take me on the most out of the way, bizarre route you could imagine.

I also did not care for the interface, the speed at which it worked etc. In the end, Tomtom's inability to even answer minor questions about the issues I was having are what prompted me to ask Apple for a refund. I'm sorry, but $99 is a LOT of money for an application, and I didn't expect to be a beta tester at that price.

Anyway, I must say I am 100% satisfied with Navigon at this point. In using it for a few days, I find it fast to use, very, very accurate, and very up to date as far as roads, POI's etc. IMHO, it is far beyond the Tomtom product in quality, and I am very glad to have had the ability to return the product I was unhappy with.

16. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Actually I had bought the European navigon app then a Couple of days later the British isles version was released at a lower price. As I really only need uk maps I asked if I could get a refund to buy the uk only version (for lower price and smaller file size) once I got the refund I purchased the uk version and am now happily running 2.1 the European app is still on my MacBook but is still in original version so pretty much pointless for me to keep using.