Received my new MBP 17" - With a scratch!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmyers, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mmyers macrumors newbie

Yep -- I was all excited to open up my new MBP 17". Then, I noticed a scratch right below the keyboard on the right side. It was very noticeable at an angle. I decided that it would have to go back -- I wasn't paying $2800 for a machine for it to come with a scratch.

Here's my question -- how well is the replacement process in a case like this? I called Apple and they said that FedEx would send me a return label in email. This email could take up to 24 hours to arrive. I still haven't received the email and it has been about 9 hours. Once hand the package back to FedEx, Apple will be notified and a new one will be sent out Express. I asked them if I should see another order in Order Status in the Apple Store. They said that I should but probably not until I returned the bad one. Is that correct? I do not see anything different when looking online.

Of course, I want to make this as fast as possible. Is there anything else I should/need to do?

Thanks.

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Do you have an Apple Store near you? You could always just take it there to get it replaced.

3. mmyers thread starter macrumors newbie

I upgraded the hard drive to the 500 GB 7200 RPM drive and I upgraded the CPU to 3.06 Ghz. None of the stores near me carry those upgrades -- they say I have to get it online.

Thanks

4. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

imagine a macbook pro...with a scratch. ta-daa!

5. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Damn, $2,800,000 for a MBP. I wouldn't pay that either...:p

Anyway, rather than shipping it back, take it to a nearby Apple Store. I'm sure they'll be glad to help you.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

He can't take it to an Apple Store.

Like he already stated above, it was BTO.

BTO's have to be mailed back.

( BTO = Built To Order )

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

The OP said it was a BTO so he can't return it to the store. I didn't realize it was a BTO until he said it either.

8. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

:D
    Oh yeah, I forgot about BTO needs to be shipped back...

If that's the case, a slight and subtle complaint about how its inconveniencing you, they may pull some strings for you (maybe an apologetic incentive? :p).

Good luck.

9. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Call Apple support, express your dissatisfaction and they'll give you an RMA and case number. They will ship you a new MBP and they'll place a temporary charge on your credit card and once they've received confirmation that you have shipped your old one back (once FedEx scans it), they remove the charge and everyone goes on with their lives.

Have had to do it a couple times. I always order BTO, so in-store swaps are never an option for me.

EDIT: I guess they do it the other way around these days. The last time I did it was when I was a guinea pig for the intel switch. For me I only went a couple days out of service with a non-working computer but if they require you to ship yours off first then I suppose it would be a longer period of downtime.

10. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

man that sucks. There was a video on youtube where the guy was all excited to get his macbook pro, but when he opened it, there was a huge dent underneath it. that would suck.

11. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Actually he could bring it to the store. Just because it's BTO doesn't mean they cannot work on it. The case is the same for all 17" MacBook Pro Unibodies, minus the new one that came out last week.

12. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Tell Apple to set you up with an advanced replacement.

They take your credit card number, ship our your new MBP and once they receive your scratched MBP they will close the case.

I've done that a couple of times with an iPhone.

13. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

That's not how service works. They replace systems, they don't refurbish them while you wait. If it's on the top case, that's a whole new LCD assembly.

14. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

That's not what I said. Of course they're not going to fix it while the OP watches them. They're going to have to order the a new top case and then install it when they have it. It saves a little time going this route, unless the OP wants a brand new MBP. This way the OP can enjoy the laptop he just paid $2800 on while the replacement part is ordered. I know you can go into the store and get a BTO laptop serviced because I've gone this route almost every time.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That made me laugh and I shot snot out of my nose. thanks :mad:

16. mmyers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I feel I may have to call Apple back today. I am still waiting on the email with the return FedEx shipping labels. They said that I should get them within 24 hours. 24 hours will be up in about two hours. Sheesh... I just want to get the return label and give it to Fedex/Kinko's down the street. Supposedly that is what starts my replacement order.

17. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

don't be nervous; takes 2 days, fedex will call you to make a return appointment. (fedex man MUST sign your sending !)

you will get a tracking number to see when it returns to apple.

apple will charge your creditcard (standby) for the exchange mbp and when they receive your sending you will get a info mail.

in the meantime you can also look at apple site support/repairstatus ...

18. wdmeuk macrumors newbie

I live 5 minutes away from a store... if I open my MacBook Pro (BTO) and there is a problem with it that would need it to be worked on or need it to be replaced, wouldn't I be able to just go to an Apple Genius and hand the MacBook over and have a new one sent to me. Would I have to send it through the post?

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

He can't get it replaced in the store as they don't carry the one he bought.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If it makes you feel any better I just received my new 13" MBP with a nasty dent on the bottom case. Screen is beautiful with no dead or stuck pixels and it works perfectly. Why did I have to get one with a dent??? I called Apple and they are sending me the shipping labels. It does take at least 24 hours to receive them but the guy told me to expect them on monday, the labels are coming from FedEx and not Apple. I'm so disappointed because I had to wait nearly 2 weeks because this is a BTO order with the SSD drive. Now I have to send it back and wait more than a week for an exchange. At least yours will be sent back to you in few days. :(

21. wdmeuk macrumors newbie

I understand they only stock the base models so they wouldn't just hand over the one he has but is it not possible to sit down with a genius and get them to order another MacBook and have it delivered to the store or to their home? It would cut out the middle man!