Received my new retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hrv888, Dec 4, 2014.

1. hrv888 macrumors regular

I just received my new retina MacBook Pro purchased online from apple.ca. However my f3 button came with a chip. I've upgraded the specs of this Rmbp 13 so I don't think I can just exchange it at the store. What's my best option here? I kinda don't want them to open open up my laptop which is brand new. [​IMG]

Should I just return this? I don't even know if I can return an upgraded rmbp.

2. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

if you bought it from apple, of course you can return it

3. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. From Apple online. Does that mean I have to wait again? I can't do a direct replacement in store right? I've upgraded the ram and processor of this laptop.

4. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

What the ****? You shouldn't putt up with this. Tell Apple to give you a proper MacBook pro or you will get a windows system. This is ********

5. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

im pretty sure they can just swap out that key. it's fairly easy.

6. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know what you mean they can easily swipe it out. Some ocd kicking in that I want a never opened MacBook. Lol

7. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

I donʻt know if Apple Stores carry replacement keyboard parts in the back, but I once had a Macbook Air with a squeaky spacebar. The Genius that repaired it for me told me that he popped the spacebar off and replaced the plastic mount that holds that the key in place. Anyway...point being, there seems to be a way to take keys off without opening the laptop. Maybe itʻs possible to replace your single key.

What a bummer that your brand new laptop came like that. I feel your pain! I wouldʻve been really disappointed if mine had arrived like that.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it bothers you, replace it. Its a brand new computer. Apple won't really give you any hassles over it.

9. Zerka macrumors member

You could either replace it, call local Apple stores and see if they have your config in stock (someone didn't pick theirs up and cancelled their order, you never know), or you can just have them replace the key, which seems like the most painless route. It's a fairly quick process that doesn't require going into your machine, it's all on the surface level with this kind of repair :)

10. fongyuen macrumors 6502

just take it in and they'll replace the key for you. they did that for me for 2 of them and it was already out of warranty, too.

11. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

So the late MBPr keyboard keys are easy to replace? I've replaced so many PC laptop keyboards, but the MBPr looked like a nightmare. It's good to know you can have them replace single keys.

Does this also hold true for the spring mechanism inside? Basically, if my rage fingers weaken a key to the point of not responding properly.

12. fongyuen macrumors 6502

yeah, they replaced the spring inside, too. I would take it in, I tried looking around ebay for replacement keys and springs and it was quite expensive. If your machine is so new, I'm sure they won't give you any hassle for it.

13. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Called apple care and they requested me to send the laptop back to them and they will send me a new one built to my specs. I decided to return the whole thing and just reorder a new one. Too much hassle to return it and wait for them to receive it and send me a new one. They also said if I went to the apple store, they would just send me back to call apple care since I bought it online and not from the store.

My set up was rMBP 13" 2.8ghz, 16gb ram, 256gb.
    The new one I ordered was rMBP 13" 2.8ghz, 16gb ram, 512gb.

Should be good for the next 5 years, going to run boot camp and lots of excel.

Thanks everyone