Received new 7Plus with an Icloud email already pre-filled ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by torontoapple, Nov 4, 2016.

1. torontoapple macrumors member

torontoapple

When I received my new 7plus ,I notice through the steps of setting up the phone When I clicked on "Icloud" I notice there was an email already pre filled in the Icloud settings and found that weird.

This email I never seen or used before in the past. Found it strange a bit. Anybody else seen this before ?

2. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Were you able to sign out of it? If not, take it (along with the receipt) to the nearest Apple Retail store to have it removed. Or alternatively contact Apple Support and have them do it.

And yes, this is (unfortunately) fairly common, although usually you wouldn't be able to set the phone up as far as you did.

3. torontoapple thread starter macrumors member

torontoapple

Hi Goat - Yes I was able to sign out of it . Do you know the reason behind having a email already pre filled in icloud? ( maybe for testing purpose) could be ?

thanks.

4. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Did it ask for a password to sign out? If not, it doesn't sound as though it was actually signed in, maybe just remembering the previous account that was signed in. Or maybe the person whose account it is had Find My iPhone turned off. Where/How exactly did you get this phone? Was it used?

5. torontoapple thread starter macrumors member

torontoapple

Got this phone straight from the apple store brand new in box.

6. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Did it ask for a password to sign out? Was the email address @icloud.com?

And as for the 'why,' there's really no good reason for an account to be on a new phone, and there shouldn't be. I know at one point some peoples' devices were being 'held hostage' in the loosest sense of the phrase, as all they had to do was take their device to Apple and they could remove the unknown account. I don't know what the perpetrators have to gain from this meddling.

7. torontoapple thread starter macrumors member

torontoapple