Received NEW Macbook Pro and had already scratches on it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by needlz, Mar 2, 2010.

1. needlz macrumors member

Hello,

I've received today my new Macbook Pro 13 (Unibody). Is it possible that Apple sells returned items again as new? It had scratches on it, about 15-20cm and the color is also a little bit darker there.

Also the Magsafe Adapter looked used (like only 1,2 times).

What do you guys think?

Cheers

2. mattydee87 macrumors regular

I don't know if Apple sell returned items as new (doubt it, probably sold as refurbished) but I would definitely ring up and get them to replace it. You paid good money for the laptop! Either that or they may offer you a discount/credit if you keep it?

3. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

mh.. that's weird. I would flip if a shop would do that to me.
    did you buy it online or at a store? :(

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I assume you did purchase directly from Apple? If so, call them and send it back.

5. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Ah, I'm glad to see Apples quality control children are still doing there best :D

Call them up, give them hell and get another BRAND NEW computer plus something extra for all your hassle. This is not an uncommon thing, they are brand new computers, it's just as I said, Apples QC is frankly sh*t! A fair few threads have been made on it before on here.

6. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

I've had this issue before especially with CTOs. The laptop was either scratched, dirty or both. And I've bought over 8 different laptops in the past 2 years...including returns, gifts, for office; and all MagSafe adapters seemed used to some extent with superficial scratches.

7. marita macrumors newbie

marita

8. needlz thread starter macrumors member

I'll call them tomorrow and ask them for a solution.
    I had bought the 2.26 Modell first, then decided to pay about 300 CHF more (about 300US$) to go for 2GB more RAM and the 2.53 Ghz CPU.

The first one was fine, Magsafe looked new and the notebook also. But this one seemed overall like used..
    a) Scratch on the aluminium case
    b) MagSafe looked used (I even saw some minor scratches on it) and the cable wasn't rolled up properly like the one I had in the 2.26 Ghz model
    c) The black paper cover, which holds the CDs/Guides etc, also looked used

I'll let you guys know tomorrow what they said. Thanks a lot for all the answers.

Cheers

9. needlz thread starter macrumors member

Update: I'll receive a new MBP probably by friday and this one gets picked up. I can live with that :)

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I should hope that you will also be receiving a good will gesture for the hassle, did they offer that? Usually something up to the value of £70

11. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Glad you got it all sorted out now. Don't forget to let us know what the new one is like.

12. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Needlz,

Can you tell us what Apple had to say about your computer? Were they they shocked or surprised? Did they seem like it happens often?

I would be really ticked if I had a used anything for the amount of money that Apple charges.

This isn't the first time I've heard people say something looked used in their new purchase so I've wondered if Apple wasn't trying to pull something...

-P

13. needlz thread starter macrumors member

This was my second replacement (the first one was ordered by my mystake with the wrong specs) and they had already given me about 80$ for the first replacement (the clerk was really nice, he had no reason to give me 80$ because I had made a mistake).
    This time they offered me 35$-50$ if I'd keep it with the scratch, but I denied. :)

Sure!

She said it's impossible that I'd have received a refurbished MBP, but she admitted that scratches sometimes appear because of various reasons (delivery, packing etc., but none of them made sense). The MBP was in a (flawless) plastic coating/bag.. so it had to happen
    1. during/after manufactering or
    2. before packing the notebook into the plastic bag
    3. when someone used and returned it..

Since the black paper box (which holds the OS X DVDs etc.) also looked used and the MagSafe Adapter wasn't rolled up so nicely like in the first MBP Box I had received, I guess it's option 3 :)

Cheers

14. polotska macrumors 6502

Weird. Glad they're taking care of it for you.

15. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

:eek:

Wow! Pay for something new and it might be used, ack!

I'm glad they are taking care of you!

-P

16. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

How do you think they have that huge cash reserve :D quietly re-selling refurbished items as new and charging full price.... its the oldest trick in the book lol.

17. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

Wow, I wouldn't think that apple would sell something used as new, maybe for a refurb only....i would not accept it

18. xenoc macrumors newbie

The top cover of the LCD screen of the unibody Macbook 13" is very easily scratchable. You'd have to take *extreme* care not to scratch the top case cover. I've seen a few laptops get scratched just by moving less than inch on top of a anti-static mat (mat is not abrasive). So I wouldn't be surprised with any kind of scratches on the top cover of the lcd screen and I work with Apple computers every day.

xenoc

19. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I'd return it. Mine looks brand new, and did when I bought it 4 months ago.

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Nanny Nanny Boo Boo, I see you!

22. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

How many days after you had received it did you call?

And what is the whole replacement/refund story like? Was this a customized system?

Do they send you a new laptop and you send the old one back or what?

23. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Can someone tell me how to a Magsafe adapter looks after being used twice??? I've used it 3 times and its looks new LOL :rolleyes:

24. jkic2003 macrumors newbie

I just received my MBP i5 2.4 tonight and just opened it, and it had a small scuff on the corner...the mag safe adapter also had some minor scuffs.

Not very noticeable, but it's made me more OCD now.

I paid good money and waited over a week for my HR AG CTO on this, so I would expect it to be pristine.

I don't mind scuffing in general, as long as I'm the one who put it there...but when it comes prescuffed, I don't think it's too much to ask that brand new actually be brand new on arrival :p

Should I call Apple to see what they can do?

25. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Can you post a picture?