Received replacement logic board, do I need PRAM battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by trollrawks, Jun 1, 2008.

1. trollrawks macrumors newbie

I understand that PRAM is comparable to PC's CMOS, but the logic board I am replacing did not have this PRAM battery. The logic board I've received does not have it either, but on ifixit's guide it specifies hooking it back up. I looked on the back of the board and it appears that there is a spot for the PRAM battery and there is sticky residue which leads me to believe I need it.

So...is the necessary or does the board have some sort of built in feature that will save settings? And is it common for sellers to sell logic boards without this piece? Thanks.

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I don't think that apple put the PRAM there if it wasn't needed...
    Anyway are you sure you are not talking about the PRAM battery? The PRAM is probably integrated in the motherboard but the battery is attached to the motherboard with a cable (since you may have to replace it).
    It may be that the seller is just selling you the motherboard and not the motherboard plus the battery. Don't you have the one of the previous motherboard?

3. trollrawks thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant PRAM battery. The one with the blue cover and cable that hooks up to the board. That was not on my old c2d board nor on this one. However, this one appears that it had the battery there at one point in time...so my question is: do these logic boards need the pram battery? or is it just a certain set of logic boards that need them (my new one included?)

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

What's your model exactly?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it needs the battery or else everytime your battery is removed and power is disconnected you lose all your power management settings; tell Apple you need it.

6. trollrawks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks--I'll be purchasing one shortly.

misterddman...what does my model number have to do with whether or not some macbooks came without the pram battery?

thx

7. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Apple stopped using PRAM batteries years ago. I think those went out with the iBook line. MacBooks do not have a PRAM battery.

8. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Was looking at the ifixit guides, but since there were two of them I wanted to know the model. I have a Core Duo here which I need to open soon for another issue. If it was the same I could take a look at it and see what is has at that place. ;) Anyway every model is a bit different although they look almost the same from the outside.

9. trollrawks thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah--I see. I apologize if I came off rude with my inquiry. I have the core duo board which is the replacement for my core 2 duo. Its possible my core 2 duo didnt have the PRAM and the core duo does?

and krye...do a google or ebay search for macbook pram. you will find they indeed have one. or ifixit's final instructions on pram removal are fakes. :)