Received The Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by blairh, Oct 10, 2012.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Planning on using it with both my bedside Phillips dock and a charging dock at home and at work. Well, it's pretty solid. I wish it were smaller though. The size of it essentially forces you to hold it down as you remove your iDevice. If you don't, it will most likely stay attached to the bottom of your device as you grab, say, your iPhone 5 to pull it out of the dock.

I will say that it keeps my iPhone 5 very nicely upright when docked. Even though the iPhone is elevated due to the height of the adapter, it stays up nicely.

I'm going to keep my bedside dock and simply hold onto the adapter as I remove my iPhone 5. As for my home office and work docks, I will most likely buy a specific Lightning dock when they become available from an authorized 3rd party. The ones I use now of course work with the adapter but I'd prefer using a Lightning equipped dock over this current method.

2. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I assume you aren't using a case?
    I am thinking about cancelling my adapter and getting the 0.2m one instead because I've ready this one doesn't work with any cases.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4. floss macrumors regular

Likewise. I really need one of these adapters (the cord version) to use for my car, but the thought of paying $40 for an adapter is quite ludicrous. I feel it should of been included for free with the phone or at least given out to past iPhone customers via some sort of upgrade program.

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

Definitely. They could have included 1 adapter considering the length of time it will take for all of the "new" accessories to come out.

My ihome is useless now... the entire ihome unit cost me $40!!

I am just happy that my car has an ordinary AUX input.

6. tsboy69 macrumors regular

Got mine today.

Ordered right at midnight after ordering the phone on the first day.

7. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I notice you have the iPad 3, do you happen to have the apple ipad camera connection kit? If so does it work on the iPhone 5 with the adapter?

8. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

Do we know yet if the controls on a radio dock work with the adapter?

9. animatedude macrumors 65816

please share what it looks like with the iPhone 4 dock!

10. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I don't have the camera connection iPad adapter.

I don't have the iPhone 4 dock. Just an older one Apple made I believe for iPod's.

I'm using a case in rare activities. 90% of the time I'm caseless.

11. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

12. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Free? For the tiny percentage of people who will need one?

13. floss macrumors regular

There's a huge market of accessories that uses the dock connector as you can tell from the number of products/companies out there. Some companies who make products such as computer monitors will provide every type of compatible cable or adapter in the package. Apple could certainly afford to throw in a measly adapter for such a premium product that is the iPhone. And like I mentioned, if not included free with every iPhone, at the very least they could of offered some type of upgrade program. Forcing people who do need one to cough up 30-40+ dollars for something i'm sure can be produced for dirt cheap (DAC chips can be had for under a dollar,) is as someone attributed to earlier, criminal.

14. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

I have the Monoprice bumper and you can not charge it. Very bad design IMO.

15. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I do think the price is too high. I also still think 90 % plus of users don't have any of these accessories. I also think it's more expensive to make than many people realize. Criminal? Ok...

16. AJAAY macrumors regular

That's doing too much. I'm sure you didn't think the 30-pin connector was going to be here forever? Things change. And no, not many people have a need for the adapter. It maybe evident on this forum, but forums like this represent the EXTREME minority of the consumer base. If they included these with the iPhone, most of the adapters would sit and collect dust.

I do agree they are expensive. But c'mon, thats Apple's MO. There is nothing "cheap" when it comes to Apple. There is a reason they are the most profitable company in history. Face it, from a business standpoint, it's a smart move.