iPad Receiving an iPad 1, what to use it for?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chrf097, Jul 9, 2013.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

So my grandmother got an iPad 4, and she's going to let me have her iPad 1. Of course I'd rather have a Mini or an iPad 4 or something newer, but hey, it's still a free iPad.

Of course the iPad 1 is super dated and can only run iOS 5, so is there any major worth behind one?

If Keynote and Pages run on iOS 5, I was thinking that it could be pretty useful for something like that. Light web browsing and probably things like Netflix or YouTube probably wouldn't look too bad on it either.

I've also never had an iPad, so I'm clueless as to what all you can do with jailbreaking. Obviously since iOS 6 or 7 won't be on the iPad 1, surely I can regain features through jailbreaking.

Also one concern is apps. For the most part, every app requires iOS 5 right? Or have most apps been capped at iOS 6?

I know this is, at this point, "ancient" technology, but surely an old iPad can be useful?

2. zmagik, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

zmagik macrumors regular

It can run all apps cause apps now a days need ios 4 or over

3. chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

As far as i know, many apps still work on iOS 4-point-something, so I think you wouldn't have to worry because it doesn't run iOS 6.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

We've got one, in fact it's our only iPad. There are plenty of available apps for it, but we mainly use it as an information source (Safari, IMDB, Wikipedia, Calendar, Contacts) as we have computers for creative uses.

IMHO the major limitation isn't the iOS version but that it has a slow processor and limited RAM. But it's fine for our use.

5. esskay macrumors 6502

Was just loading the 5 yr free apps promotions onto the spare ipad 1 and noticed that several of them required iOS 6. Also hadn't used it for a while and was irritated by how slow it was compared to our ipad 3! But the kids don't seem to mind... Free is free, enjoy!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd probably leave it in the bathroom to read my morning news. :D

7. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would use it for safari, email, games, and reading. Pretty anything that isn't too spec intensive.

8. CrockettGTO macrumors regular

Drawing, taking notes, most simple games, a gigantic remote for an Apple TV, a remote to control your iTunes library, reading books, a Kitchen wall mounted "TV", photo frame, home video monitoring, there are a ton of things you can still do, only if you can access apps that support iOS 5.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I see some people on the train still using iPad for reading and light gaming. I wish I could keep my iPad 1 but I had to sell it because I need FaceTime to chat with relay service provider for outgoing calls. :apple:

10. biblicalfury macrumors member

I still use an iPad 1 daily. It still works well for just about everything you can use a tablet for. It can definitely be slow at times and apps crash more than they used to, but it's still useable.

I'd like to upgrade, but it works well enough that I can't justify spending the money when the original still works pretty good.

11. 960design macrumors 68000

Put it in a frame and use it as a picture display.

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

As far as jailbreaking goes, since you can't go higher than 5.1.1, yes, it's jailbreakable if you want to go that route. Functional tweaks to improve the ipad experience are available, though there certainly aren't as many as there are for the iPhone. There's enough to justify doing it, at least for me--starting with RetinaPad, which doubles iPhone only apps without the ugly pixelization. Check out the jailbreak section of the forum for details if you need them.

My iPad 1 still runs fine, and my husband still uses his for both work and play; as others said, it's a bit slow and more prone to memory crashes. Don't overload it, and it will mostly handle light duty non-memory intensive stuff pretty well.

13. Frozzie macrumors regular

All standalone apps work fine but third party apps crash, especially facebook and that is even when you close every other app.

Be prepared for unexpected crashes if you are using downloaded apps, will be frustrating few people enough to start thinking about committing suicide (but actually won't be).

14. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Not sure why FB doesn't work on your iPad 1. Works great on mine. In fact, my iPad 1 (which my wife uses now) runs great on most apps. There are a few that are kind of slow, but for the most part it does everything my wife needs it to do including playing some games like Candy Crush.

15. irDigital0l Guest

Facebook tends to release a laggy app (as seen by iTunes reviews).

16. robertosh macrumors 6502

robertosh

The iPad 1 is perfectly usable. It's faster than the ipod touch 4G although have no iOS6 support (it's very weird). If you follow this tips you will get a better experience (in terms of perfomance, battery life..)

- Configure it as a new device, (don't restore from backup).
    - Install only the apps that you truly use. The performance is very proportional to the number of apps installed.
    - Try to do not fill to much the memory of the device (keep at least 2gb free)
    - Configure the email accounts that you truly use and/or configure in "manual" mode retrieving for emails in the accounts that aren't main for you
    - Activate only the important notifications for apps, the same with location services.
    - Disable bluetooth.
    - Disable services that you don't need, like photo streaming.
    - If you have iTunes Match, i recommend you disabling it and only enabling when you need a song that is not in your library.

I hope this helps! and enjoy your new iPad. Not everyday you can get one for free ;)

17. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The only problems the iPad 1 would have is browsing due to low RAM, and complex games. Otherwise it is fine.

18. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I imagine you'll probably be able to do everything on it. I guess you'll probably experience lag on more intensive code heavy apps though.

19. Frozzie macrumors regular

Facebook crashes unpredictably, it is a known problem for iOS devices running with 256mb memory (i.e. iPhone 3GS and iPad) and you can see that when you do google search it is a very well known problem.