Receiving database error after transferring site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by p0intblank, Jul 14, 2009.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I am in the process of transferring http://tracibild.com for a client and was recently presented with the following error: Error establishing a database connection

The files have been transferred via FTP, email accounts configured, and database created. Anyone know what seems to be the problem? I tried contacting Network Solutions, but their technical support keeps cutting out.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Could be an issue with database name, user name, password. The error is a little vague. Be sure to check your DB configuration files. Here's some write-up of someone with this error message dealing with WordPress.

3. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

Well I got it working. It turns out Network Solutions uses their own host name for mySQL. We have another problem, though... Now all the sub-pages do not work, only the front page does. I checked the FTP directory and everything seems to be fine. Any ideas?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That's not much to go off. Looks like you're getting 404 errors. I'm not sure what kind of framework you're using and how you have things organized. You'll have to find some more info to give us for us to have any ideas.

5. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

The site uses Wordpress. I'm doing this for another person, so I am limited on how much back-end information I know.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sounds like an issue with URL rewriting. Check your htaccess settings (or alternative if you are not using Apache).

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

8. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

The sub-pages are now loading, but there is no actual content within them. I see a 404 error message code within the site itself. I edited the PERMALINK settings according to this page:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/219438?replies=2

Any ideas on where to go from here?