Receiving iMessages from iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by grumpus88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. grumpus88 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a contact that freely swaps between iPhone and iPad while texting. Whenever I get a text from either it only shows the name of the contact, but I would like to somehow differentiate between the two as she usually leaves the iPad at home from work, and I will text that instead of the iPhone, thus the message doesn't get received.

Is there a way to set the names as ContactiPhone and ContactiPad, or something as such?

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I assume she is using a different E-mail to iMessage from the phone and iPad?

Probably the best thing to do would be to seperate out the two addresses as separate contacts. Let's assume her name is Jane Doe... You could have the standard contact "Jane Doe" with her phone number. Remove her E-mail address from that contact and create a separate contact called "Jane Doe iPad" and put the E-mail there.

Now you'll have two threads in iMessage, one with her phone, the other with her iPad.

You could also ask her to make life easier for everyone and use the same E-mail address to iMessage on both devices. Then she'll get the messages on both and you won't have to do this. :)

3. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Yep, this is a configuration issue on her end. She needs to set both devices to Start New Conversations from either her phone number or email address as the same on both, as well as check both on "Send & Receive." She can then start a new message thread and both her iPhone and iPad will send & receive the same messages.

4. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

If you can't get her to do what bigcstyle4 suggested then the only thing you can so is what zorinlynx had suggested. Either would work for you.