Receiving iMessages on MBP when the phone is not on the same wifi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Itstheradman, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Itstheradman macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I've noticed that while using my wife's MBP with Yosemite, I am able to receive iMessages even though she isn't on the same wifi as me (for example while she's out of the house/away). It looks like no matter what, iMessages get delivered to her MBP whenever her laptop is on. I was under the impression that they should only be coming thru if the phone and laptop are on the same wifi network. Is there any way to change this?

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

iMessages will always come through as long as there is an internet connection.

SMS relay on the other hand will need the phone and the Mac on the same network.

The only ways to stop the messages coming through is for you to set up your own user account on your wife's Mac or in disable the iMessage account in Messages preference.

3. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

As noted by members on this and other forums, SMS relay does not require a Mac and iPhone to be on the same Wifi network to function.

4. Itstheradman thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense to be honest. It would be nice to have it only forward on the computer when you're close by, but I can see how that is more difficult to control.