Receiving international call over Wi-Fi? Extra charges?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dolomite360, Dec 9, 2014.

1. dolomite360 macrumors member

I have my iPhone 6 linked up with my MacBook Pro so when someone calls me, the FaceTime app opens and it gives me a notification on my MacBook screen to accept the call - rather than holding my phone to my ear for several minutes. I use my headphones and the built in mic to speak.

Now I'm expecting a call from the US (I'm in Canada) and I should be at my computer (*on Wi-Fi*) when they call.

I want to be careful otherwise I could have a huge bill. Could I somehow be charged extra on my bill for this?

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

You shouldn't be charged anything extra for using your Mac to answer the call.

3. dolomite360 thread starter macrumors member

^ That's what I was thinking.

Also, just to be safe I might go to Settings > Cellular > Turn Off 'Cellular Data' for the timeframe I expect the call

4. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

You could do that, but it really won't make a difference as the call will not be using any cellular data.

I think that you will be fine. Basically your computer is acting as a Bluetooth headset type device when you answer a call on your Mac. In this case instead of Bluetooth being used, your home network will be used.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What difference would that make?
    While you're at it turn off Bluetooth and also turn the heat off:D

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Am I wrong in thinking you shouldn't incur a fee for receiving a call under any cisrcumstances anyway?

7. wxman2003 Suspended

Whenever I receive a call via my iMac, my iPhone rings, but I answer on my iMac. It is a cellular call, unless it's a true FaceTime call between apple devices. It's connecting via wifi to my phone, but on my verizon bill, it will list that call if it was not to another Apple device.

8. Paco II macrumors 65816

Based on what the OP posted, they are getting a regular cellular call. They will pay whatever rates they normally pay for incoming cellular calls. Answering it on the Mac doesn't change that.