Receiving MMS on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickhutson, Mar 18, 2009.

1. nickhutson macrumors regular

I think it's great that everyone can shut up moaning now about copy and paste, MMS, etc etc...

but...have Apple mentioned anything about the ability to receive MMS pictures/audio/(video?). How will that work within the interface, do you think?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

There are pictures around showing this. The picture/video/location/etc. shows up in the SMS app. You tap on it and it plays or you can view the picture, etc.

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

For my experience, MMS has not been working. When someone sends me a picture, I get the usual "I sent you a multimedia message...". When I attempt to send a picture, the send fails.

4. MiamiBourne macrumors regular

Not receiving MMS notification?

Has anyone not received the notification at all for MMS? I have had a few friends try and send me an MMS and i don't even receive the notification that I got the message and where to view the message. I'm thinking it's an issue on AT&T's end.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is it true this mms uses a seperate text plan from att or something?

6. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

As it's been addressed a hundred times over in many threads, MMS is not enabled in beta and likely won't be.

As far as costs or plans from At&T, there's been zero word on it.

7. Radam macrumors member

there are different text plans originally applied to the iphone.
    When you sign up with the iphone they give you a plan that cannot send or receive mms messages. so you have to call them and just tell them that you are using the beta of the new iphone and ask them to put the package that lets you send mms messages onto your account, it should be the same price.
    If anyone does this, please let me know if you are able to send or receive messages. I am willing to try it up I would need to be added to someones developer account.

8. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

What do you think got us copy and paste, MMS, etc etc...?

9. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You aren't going to be able to send or receive MMS on the beta. As of now there is no such thing as MMS on iPhone so just because you have the beta doesn't mean it will actually work. This isn't directed at anybody, just stating the obvious. That's like running the 2.0 beta and expecting the App Store to work right. Think of it that way.

-Josh

10. Radam macrumors member

Yea but the app store didn't work because it wasn't implemented. not having the app store is more like trying to access a website that has not been uploaded to the server, the page is just not there. You can still get mms's sent to the number that you have and get that text message for, viewmymessage.com. That in itself is a mms. If someone could call at&t and ask if they could switch to the unlimited text plan and includes mms and stuff and then report back would be much more useful than assuming it just does not work.
    I know for a fact that there are different unlimited text plans, one for the iphone that you can get unlimited sms messages and if someone sends you an mms you get the viewmymessage.com message.
    There is also another one that if you are signed up for that one you wont receive any notification on getting an mms unless your phone is mms enabled, which i believe iphone os 3 is.
    Saying that I think if someone has the right plan associated with there cell phone plan i think they would be able to send and receive mms messages on the beta of the new iphone os.