Receiving MMS on the iPhone in the US?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesCarling, Jan 16, 2009.

1. jamesCarling macrumors newbie

So, I just saw that app that lets you get/send your MMS' in the UK. Is there anything like that in the US? I don't really need to be able to send. I just want an easier way to download images sent to me. I can't ever manage to remember the login info long enough to get it typed into Safari.

Thanks!

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

No, there is no such app available right now. Yes, there are other such apps in the app store for other carriers and I e-mailed AT&T customer service about this. They said that they do not develop software.

So, it looks like it's going to be up to a 3rd party developer to produce this app. All they would have to do is make an app that detours viewmymessage.com and allows people to get pictures directly to a web browser (without entering a username and password each time). Whoever does so first is going to make a small fortune.

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Does anyone know if the UK or Portuguese MMS apps have made their way onto Cydia for jailbroken phones?

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Talking about cracked apps or warez is against forum rules. And unless you're on those carriers it's pointless. They hook directly into the carrier's MMS retrieval. Unfortunately, in the US AT&T doesn't have a simple interface for someone to get all their messages. Instead we get the lame viewmymessage.com which devs more than likely can't hook into.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Developers could have the ability to "hook into" viewmymessage.com if AT&T is cooperative and willing to play along. AT&T would have to basically shut down this website in favor for the App. Instead of viewmymessage.com opening in Safari (or not opening, actually ;)), a separate App (but not the SMS App) could open and display the image. AT&T very well may go along with this because they will not have to deal with the viewmymessage website itself anymore and it will likely attract more subscribers to their SMS/MMS plans.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm not talking about cracked apps or warez, those apps are free.

Thanks for the other part of your post though. That makes sense. Mainly, I want to see the UI.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The MMS right now is... okay i guess. I mean, if i write down the username and password, i could see it right on my phone in Safari.

And sending them via email works like a charm.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Kodak developed viewmymessage.com I believe, not AT&T. It would be up to Kodak to to work with both AT&T and the developer to allow this to happen. From what I got from browsing other sites and forums, AT&T didn't develop any of vmm.com at all. If you have a device without MMS or get an MMS without an MMS plan they route the information over to vmm.com. They could probably do the same for someone else with minimal effort, however maybe they have some sort of agreement with Kodak that no one else can provide a similar service? If the information I found is correct, the ball may be in Kodak's court, not AT&T or Apple.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

My bad then. Usually when people look for legit apps in Cydia it's for not-so-legit purposes. I don't see why they'd be on Cydia if they're free in their countries. It just won't work elsewhere. The T-Mobile Germany MMS app is in the US App Store I think?

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Huh. I did not know this. Does Kodak maintain the servers the pics come into then? Or, does AT&T just license the idea? Either way, AT&T are the people responsible for it in the end. I'm sure they are paying Kodak for this service and would probably like to get rid of this. AT&T would probably welcome it.

The 4 times I have actually received an MMS, I have not been able to do this. It either crashes or freezes Safari for me. I've had to go on my laptop.

11. Almy macrumors 6502

There is an MMS program in Cydia, is not free but does have a free trial. However not really a lot of luck getting it to work easily with AT&T. They have a pretty active message board though.

12. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

LOL yah that works like a charm, writing down some cryptic user/pass for a postage stamp thumb image of what people send, sigh.

It's amazing that ATT is still asleep at the wheel on this. They could at least spend a week making an iPhone friendly version of that page with a link that auto directs you to the image, and at full res.

Ug, what do these companies do all day but take money.

13. MrSki macrumors newbie

SwirlyMMS is the name. It works very well except for AT&T I have understod. T-Mobile though, like a dream!!!

14. shanster macrumors newbie

When will the iphone finally get MMS in the U.S.?

When will the iphone finally get MMS in the US?

15. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

On Tuesday :D check your appstore nonstop!

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm portuguese and I didn't know we had an MMS app so thank you. :D

Although there's one stupid thing, we need to have Wi-Fi off to be able to use the app. I'm still trying to figure out what happens if someone sends me an MMS and I have Wi-Fi on... Maybe I'll just stick with SwirlyMMS, although this app looks a lot better.

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Why not just use e-mail instead? You can e-mail pictures to MMS gateways and have them delivered to your recipients as MMS messages. The reverse is (kinda) true too -- most carriers have MMS-capable SMS->e-mail gateways that folks can use to send you an e-mail containing the media content as they would an MMS message.

18. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Some countries don't have that option.

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm on AT&T and I would love for my mms to be fowarded to my email. We just don't have that option right now. It would be cool if an app was developed that did this.

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Well, this is what they told me in their email to me.... But, it looks like you are correct though. Or, if they didn't develop it themselves, then I guess they have experience contracting out such work.

22. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You do (in a way). Your friends can simply send an MMS to their carrier's gateway, for relaying to the address of their choosing (in this case, an e-mail address that you check on your iPhone).

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, some of them are starting to catch on. But they still forgot all the time... :(

24. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

More than you'd think. All national carriers in the US provide a gateway, but there are a *lot* of similar arrangements in other countries. You can take a look at a (somewhat incomplete) list on this Wikipedia page on the subject.

25. jamesCarling thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't tease me, bro! :(

Also, I don't think iPhones' messaging packages can get MMS via email. I've tried sending photos via email to <my phone number>@mms.att.net, and got an email bounceback