Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I have started using Paypal for paying some web merchants for their products. I am going to be on the flip side. I am selling some items on Craiglist and a buyer wants to pay me via PayPal. Is PayPal secure? I am a newbie on PayPal. Can I move money from my PalPal account to my actual bank account? My PalPal and the checking account are already connected.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
In my experience, PayPal has been secure. I have been using it for 6 years with no issues. And, yes, you can move money from PayPal to your bank account. It does take a few days.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
In my experience, PayPal has been secure. I have been using it for 6 years with no issues. And, yes, you can move money from PayPal to your bank account. It does take a few days.
Super. Well, I have a potential buyer who is going to pay more than I advertised, as long as I accept the payment via Paypal. Is there something I should be aware for the Paypal transaction?

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
the biggest problem with paypal is the buyer can go back after he has made a payment and take the money back later. so you could give him the item, check online that you indeed recieved a payment then the money be pulled by the time you get home.

one way around this for sellers is to not ship the item until the money is transfered from paypal to your bank account. paypal cant just take money from your bank without your approval.

lastly, There is a scam involving paypal where the buyer sends you a fake "funds recieved" duplicated paypal message when no money has acually been sent. A way to check this is you must physically log in to paypal to make sure the money is there.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
the biggest problem with paypal is the buyer can go back after he has made a payment and take the money back later. so you could give him the item, check online that you indeed recieved a payment then the money be pulled by the time you get home.

one way around this for sellers is to not ship the item until the money is transfered from paypal to your bank account. paypal cant just take money from your bank without your approval.

lastly, There is a scam involving paypal where the buyer sends you a fake "funds recieved" duplicated paypal message when no money has acually been sent. A way to check this is you must physically log in to paypal to make sure the money is there.
I started reading up something about the credit card chargeback. Is there a way to see the payment was done via the buyer's checking account or credit card?

When I send my payment to my merchants, I send my money from Checking account via Paypal. I want my buyer to do the same. But, I am not sure how I know if the payment is via the checking account or the credit card.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

I have never actually seen that, but I do always check my account after I get the email ... it just seems like common sense to me.

nhcowboy1

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
NH
I'm a little confused . . . Craigslist transactions are ordinarily face-to-face transactions. Buyer hands seller cash, and seller hands buyer the item being sold. So what's going on here - are you shipping the item? Or does the buyer want to send you a PayPal payment and then pick up the item in person?

Either way, I'd say not to do it. If the buyer is close by, then you should insist on cash. If he's not, then you should find a different buyer.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I have started using Paypal for paying some web merchants for their products. I am going to be on the flip side. I am selling some items on Craiglist and a buyer wants to pay me via PayPal. Is PayPal secure? I am a newbie on PayPal. Can I move money from my PalPal account to my actual bank account? My PalPal and the checking account are already connected.

You're being scammed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.