Receiving refurbished MBP what to check?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tawcan, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Tawcan macrumors newbie

I ordered a refurbished MBP during the weekend (early 2008 revision). According to FedEx tracking it's coming in the mail either tomorrow or Thurs. My question is, what should I check for once I receive the laptop? This will be my first Mac so I know very little.

1. Make sure the laptop can turn on :D
    2. Check the LCD to make sure no dead pixel
    3. Check for any obvious physical damage

Anything else? Thanks!

2. Andy-V macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say you need to specifically check it. You have enough time to find any faults with it and return it. Just get it and use it. General use is the best way to find an issue.

3. frostrambler macrumors member

Do yourself a favor and DON'T check for dead/stuck pixels.

Unless you have 6+, Apple will not replace them, (on some occasions they do, but its very rare).

If you don't notice them under regular use, then you may never notice them, but if you check for them (especially the stuck on/off pixels), then you may find 1 or 2, and your eyes will always drift over to them.

I am speaking from past experience too.

4. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Download the iStat widget and coconut battery to check the # of loadcycles and health of the battery. When my refurb MBP came in, it had a large number of loadcycles and only ~90% health. I called apple and they shipped me a new battery in a couple days.

However they "accused" me of putting all those loadcycles during the first week of receiving it. I gave them my word that it wasn't my fault, and they finally believed me after a little while. (It is the truth, but I understand they were just doing their job).

The moral of the story: If I had called them during the first couple of days of receiving it, then I could've saved a couple hours of phone time.

Good luck and enjoy your new MBP! :)