recent: 3G drops within seconds, Edge OK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deschodt, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Deschodt macrumors member

Weird thing... My Iphone's been fine for the past 3 months or so, and now all of a sudden it gets into a funk and cannot take any call in 3G mode... I get a ring, pick up, it drops the call... then if I call back: Call failed... Ad nauseam...

I turn off 3G, bam, 30 seconds later I'm good to make and get calls under Edge...

My wife has the same phone, is next to me, she gets calls no problem...

If I turn the phone off and reboot it, it seems OK again, for a while (duration to be determined)...

Ideas ? I mean, it pretty much excludes network if my wife's phone is OK. And since it just started a few days ago, I don't think it's hardware, also because ironically, 3G data works fine at the same time that I can't make a call, I can download apps, web pages no problem at all !!!!

2. rajkbala macrumors newbie

almost same problem with my iPhone

I am having similar problems for more than a week now. I did posted it at

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573016

I called customer services, they advised me to take it to O2 shop and they will in turn send it to apple for checkup. But I am just not ready to give away my iPhone. Just hoping that might be there is a software update coming to fix the problem.

3. gilesp macrumors newbie

The same thing just started happening to me 2 days ago(sounds like the same time as you). Egde works fine but 3g calls drop after a few seconds.

Until then i never had an issue, and 3g reception was good everywhere with very few dropped calls at all. Seems very strange that this would be happening now after months of it having no problems.

I wonder how many others are just now experiencing this problem?

4. nerd macrumors member

Count me in. Although this did happen to me briefly once before. Everything seems fine with 3G turned off. I don't know whether to complain to ATT or Apple. It sucks to pay extra for 3G when you can only use it when you're not expecting calls!

5. Deschodt thread starter macrumors member

Well, it seems better since I shut the phone down and restarted it.... Try that first...