Recent 3G purchase credit back=NICE!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ngenerator, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Ok, so i don't know if i just had a really lucky day or something, but here's my story:

I was one of the "smart" ones who knew that :apple: was coming out with a new iPhone, yet I've never had one and really wanted one. My crap Centro died on me in May and I needed a replacement immediately. Dealt with a $40 Nokia until I was able to scrape together some $ for the iPhone.
    I got a 16GB black refurb 3G from the ATT online store, which wasn't used at all, so I saved some money doing so. With the early upgrade fee and everything, I ended up paying $350 for the phone.
    All was fine and dandy till WWDC rolled around and the price of the 3G dropped like a rock. I decided to see what I could get out of it, since I got the phone within 30 days of the conference. Customer service told me I'd get a $200 credit back if I went into an Apple store, so I went. They said no, and that I had to go to an ATT store to get the credit. So, this afternoon I went to ATT to see if they could help me. After an hour at the store, the manager told me that they could do a $20 credit to my account. That was unacceptable, but I took the credit, obviously, so on my ride home I called ATT customer service again. After a dropped call after talking to a rep for 20 minutes (with full bars, mind you, but that's beside the point), I called a second time. Another 20 minutes with a new rep, and they transferred me over to the Returns and Exchanges Dept.
    The rep in ret&exch made my day. On top of the $20 account credit from the ATT store, she was able to offer me something better: a $220 (plus tax) credit to my card I used to order online.

1 hour of hard work=$252.32
    BOOM

(and yes, I know I'm still paying for it with the 2 year contract, but a FAN discount helps, and it's a nice start :D)

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

So why do you deserve this money? I don't get it.

3. racers macrumors regular

so you got money because you bought a phone before a new one came out?

4. ngenerator thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Umm, the price of the 3G dropped within the 30 day period and I didn't want a 3GS?
    Also.. usually if I'm told I'll receive a credit, especially from a company, I hold them to it. Am I just naive?:confused:

5. ngenerator thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I used sarcasm..

6. racers macrumors regular

still sounds like you got money for no reason

7. ngenerator thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Whatever, just figured I'd share if anyone else just recently purchased a 3G. Finally, recorded calls work wonders for the little guy, muahaha!

8. superxero3 macrumors regular

i don't see why you deserved this money? does the 30 days mean something?

9. ngenerator thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Ok, I bought the phone (in mid-May) at a higher price than what it would be 30 days later (in mid-June, when they announced the 3G price drop at WWDC). Since the average person wouldn't have known there would be a new iphone and coincidentally, a price drop for the 3G.
    I originally called to see if I could get a credit for the difference, as per a post on this very forum, and was lucky enough to get the customer service lady to offer me a $200 credit for the difference in the price (on a recorded phone call).
    I know people say I "don't deserve it" or whatever, but I think it's nice to see a company (ATT) follow up with something when their representatives send people all over the city trying to get a promised credit.

10. superxero3 macrumors regular

I don't really see why you would call and try and get the difference?

I feel, if i bought something and it was discounted a day later, tough luck for me.

11. ngenerator thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Sorry, I read it on these forums something along the lines of if you bought a 3G within the past month, ATT would give you a credit. I thought I would give it a shot, is that so wrong?

12. superxero3 macrumors regular

I've never read anything like that 30 days things, but that's awesome that it exists. You called and got a credit back, that's awesome!

But if that 30 day thing exists (sounds like it definitely does), and you used it, that's awesome!

13. njl macrumors regular

good job for being smart and working to get some money back, anyone who says otherwise is jealous and obviously not very intelligent.

14. Konz macrumors regular

You should have been one of the actual "smart" ones and just waited.

Instead you were like an impatient child and had to have your toy as soon as possible.... lol

15. njl macrumors regular

or you could have read his post and noticed that he doesn't want the GS.

LOL

16. jayenh macrumors 6502a

or maybe his next phone was always going to be an iphone, but he had no choice but to get it at that time since his died and was using a ****** phone?

if he wanted it as soon as possible he'd already have one by now.

i don't get this attitude, maybe he doesn't need a better camera/video recording/a compass and so the current 3g fits his need perfectly. the fact that it coincided with apple dropping the price considerably just means that he benefits from getting it at the reduced price, just like if someone went out and bought a 3g now...

17. ngenerator thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Nah, i'm fine with a jailbroken 3G, and the only feature the S adds that I want is the voice controls, but I'll live (unless anyone has any name of a repo or creater in cydia for such a feature ;)). I hated the nokia I used in the interim between the centro and the iphone, so the sooner I got rid of that the better.
    32GB would be nice, but I can wait a year for whatever their next iteration will be

18. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

This is actually common business practice for a number of companies. A price drop in such a short period of time often entitles people who purchased within that short time a refund of the difference. Most people just don't know they can take advantage of it. Obviously, Apple doesn't offer it, but they're different. There's no need to be rude to the OP and tell him he doesn't deserve it or call him a child...so many trolls lol

19. Konz macrumors regular

Yeah, people will rationalize anything to make themselves feel better.

It's not THAT much faster...
    The camera isn't THAT much sharper...
    The GPU isn't THAT many light years ahead of the old one...
    The new features aren't THAT great...

Blah, blah, blah. Same ****, different day. Anyone who bought a 3G in the past few months is a moron, in my opinion. You can get a 3G S 16GB today for $130 w/free shipping.

20. ngenerator thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Sorry, the 3G fits my needs perfectly. If you can show me a single person who got "a 3G S 16GB today for $130 blah blah blah, then you can talk.

Just keep bothering people on the forums for the next week+ in order to make the wait for your 3GS easier, whatever works for you.

21. mpsruo macrumors member

Wow, half the people on this forum are jaded *****. The OP was telling a story, one that might actually HELP other users.

Macrumors angry fanboy comment
    "So why do you deserve this money? I don't get it."

Translation
    "WHY DONT I GET MONEY FROM ATT TOO!?!?"

Why does he deserve it? its SOP. 30 day price guarantee for most major electronics. I buy a laptop, price drops and I get the money back. Even BEST BUY of all companies offers this. You're telling me that if you drop the $200-600 on the new iphone 3GS and apple drops the price again 2 weeks later, you wont go into nerdrage? check.

22. ngenerator thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Thank you!

Thank you, I'm glad some people get it!

It was just something I wanted to share with people to show what can be done with a little ambition, I thought that's what forums were for, but I could be mistaken (and yes, I'm being sarcastic with that bolded statement, since I apparently have to make that more obvious for some people...

23. Konz macrumors regular

Yes, just proving the point about impatient people... you see the shiny thing and must have it in your hands RIGHT NOW, so instead of waiting a week and paying an extra $30 you get the 1 year old version.

Rationalize all you want, we see right through it...

24. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

:eek: Are you serious!!

If you feel like throwing money away in the near future, send some my way LOL.

Seriously though, most stores offer price protection. I'm glad that the OP was able to get some cash back!!

25. ngenerator thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Umm, I needed a phone?