Recent Acquisitions Thread

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, May 30, 2016.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hello folks! I thought it would be fun to make a thread to maintain for new stuff that we buy/barter/receive.

I recently purchased a 12" PowerBook G4, to replace my heavily battered one.

Only real damage, is the corner. Other 'bad' spot is the Topcase dent, and a bad trackpad. I'll swap keyboards and top cases from my parts 12".
    s-l1600-3.jpg

And, I received a 1.42Ghz iBook. It freaking runs, I tell you what. I've never seen any PPC laptop run this good.

Really excited to see how the PowerBook 12" stacks up against it. Anyone want to chime in on FX Go5200 v.s. ATI 9200?

Also, the 12" is factory loaded with 1.25 (max, strangely) and an 80GB HDD.

What is also interesting, is this is my first PowerPC Mac (or mac in general) purchased on eBay. I decided to search for Time ending soonest, and something with no bids. Got lucky!!

2. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I buy 99% of my PPCs from eBay and 99% do a terrible careless job of packing. I have a couple of pristine albooks that were damaged in shipment and a tibook that was thrown in a priority mail box bare! I was the only bidder on a iMac G4 and I had hesitated because of shipping. Great packing and it arrived intact. You just never know.

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

An iMac was going locally on ebay today for £20 - that was just too good an opportunity to miss.
    What did that £20 buy? The 20" 2.1 Ghz iSight model, 250Gb drive, 2.5Gb RAM, Superdrive, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Radeon X600XT 128Mb graphics with original install disks - that's an awful lot of machine for that price.
    Running Leopard, it feels nice and smooth - not as punchy as a dual G5 but still capable of web browsing comfortably - even 480P Flash is workable.
    What surprises me most is that despite being Quicktime powered, 720P h264 video plays fine in Front Row - and it's nice to have a PPC that works via an Apple Remote again.
    I know G5 iMacs get some bad press but I've had a few and never had any problems and I'm pleased to have grabbed the last, top of the line model :)

Picture 1.png

4. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Received a Quad yesterday along with a FX4500 Quadro for it B)

It's actually a lot quieter than my DC 2.3 with a 7800, although I suspect there are some fan issues at play on that machine. And man, the quad runs mathematica like a champ (although the 2.3 was no slouch either).

5. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

THAT is superb. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for one, work just scrapped a bunch, I couldn't grab one sadly.

However, I received the 12" in the mail today, with the manuals and charger.

Here is the casing before I worked it:
    s-l1600-3.jpg

Notice how its bowed out beyond the top case (I didn't get an above pic)

And after:

After.jpg
    Only destruction now, is the battery (which has 100% of its capacity, and had 60% of its charge when I got it in the mail).

I got this cheap because it had a bad trackpad, and was a bit dented. It was definitely dropped on its corner, I had to warp the laptop straight. I’m thinking the trackpad cable was disconnected in the fall, dude tried reinstalling OS X to fix it, found it was disconnected, and reconnected it. The drivers weren't installed, because OS X doesn't install for things it can't find. I just simply installed the 10.3 combo update, and now, I've installed Leopard. All good :)

6. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

A thermally balanced Quad is a wonder - it comes as a great shock when you're lucky enough to find one!

7. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Yeah I'm really pleased with it - especially since it was a blind ebay buy. It also came with the airport + bluetooth module as a surprise!

8. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Bonus! :D