Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
After upgrading to 11.5.1 my Apple Photos library is no longer working correctly:
1) iCloud sync with photos on iPhone are not uploading
2) Original quality photos taken before are no longer available.
3) Stuck at "Downloading Originals"...

I read a thread that suggested exporting originals to "force" photos to download them again, but I get this error.

1627981682982.png

This looks like the Photos database has been corrupted.

Any ideas how to resolve this? I have time machine backups and a Carbon Copy Cloner backup about a week old I think....

halofan56

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
I had the same issue a few months ago. I used a app called stellar photo repair available on the app store. What I did was export the affected files to my download folder. Startup the app and point to the affected files. The app repairs the photos and re-import back to the Photo library. Remember they are time stamped.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
I had the same issue a few months ago. I used a app called stellar photo repair available on the app store. What I did was export the affected files to my download folder. Startup the app and point to the affected files. The app repairs the photos and re-import back to the Photo library. Remember they are time stamped.
So did you export the files as JPG or were you able to export the Originals? My problems is that only 411 of the 2,522 photos actually export as Originals.

Thanks for the suggestion of the repair software - I'll investigate further.

I might just use TimeMachine to retrieve an older version of the Photos library; the Photos.slqlite is inside the "Photos Library.photoslibrary" so this might be an easier solution.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
To update my original question, here is how I resolved the issue:

1) restored the Photos library from TimeMachine from the day before the update to Big Sur 11.5.1. This version didn't have the approx 2000 photos permanently stuck in "downloading", but only had the 400 or so "original" photos that had successfully downloaded in the original library.

2) Checked my iCloud library and found the originals were still there (fortunately, I had increased the size of my iCloud storage to allow my complete library to upload - well worth the $1 per month for 50GB I now realise!)

3) Logged out and back in to iCloud on the Mac. This seemed to kick start the Photos sync process and all the originals downloaded from iCloud.

I may have just been able to jump to step (3) with the original library, and I would recommend that other try this first if they have the same situation.

Make a backup copy the entire library before doing any of the above.

This is the major weakness of Apple Photos in my opinion. The photos are referenced in the internal database of Photos and stored in its internal structure, rather than being something that you easily view in the file system or manipulate with other tools. I would prefer an "open" structure like Adobe Lightroom which, so I understand, creates a library of your photos but doesn't mess with the original location or names of the files. This is similar to how you used to treat an iTunes music library or a Final Cut Pro Library, which have options to leave your media "in place".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.