Recent convertee's to MBP; what do you like the most?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Nov 29, 2013.

1. marc55, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I'm still in the decision process on whether we should get a MBP or stay with a Windows PC. My wife & I are retired and use our computer for general home computing, i.e., email, word processing, and general excel spreadsheets, so no heavy or career applications.

I've read stories about folks who switched to a MBP years ago, and how much better OSX was than Windows, and back the I believe OSX was significantly better than Windows ME or Vista, but I'm not sure now-a-days if OSX is significantly better than let's say Windows 7.

So I would like to hear from folks who use their MBP's for general home computing, and have recently converted to MBP; I would like to understand what you found that was significantly better.

Of course, if you came from a low-mid range PC that was constantly giving you problems, that is understandable, as a MBP is considerably better quality wise, so I'd be more interested in hearing from folks who switched from an equivalent cost/quality Windows PC.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: We also use a laptop for family pictures which are over 20GB, and music which is about 160GB

2. Stunned Monkey macrumors regular

In the year 2013, OSX vs Windows is really a personal preference. I've used MS environments since DOS 3.2 and dual 5 1/4 inch floppies, with no hard drive. Some MS environments have been better than others but none (yes, even Windows ME or Vista) have ever been as bad as their reputations. Windows 3.x was definitely immature compared to Macintosh in the day, but that was nearly 30 years ago. Modern Windows vs modern OSX? Everybody has a favorite. The only way you'd ever get an unbiased opinion is to locate a dude who's been lost at sea for 40 years and could give them both a whirl with no preconceived ideas.

Where Apple has the edge is that it controls both its hardware and software which provides a more stable overall environment. Cheap Windows laptops tend to be crapped up out of the gate with all sort of vendor-installed garbage and trialware which provides a substandard out of the box experience. A clean install of Windows on those same machines would probably run great. But it's unfair to compare the experience of a $2000 Macbook Pro to a $600 Windows laptop. You get what you pay for. For work I use a an i7, 8 Gb, Lenovo Helix and it's a fantastic little laptop...but it cost $1900 when I got it. For personal use, I just ordered a 13 in rMBP as my "fun" laptop. (My home office PC is a home built Windows machine.) I like OSX and want to become more proficient with it (and it's undeniably beautiful) but I still need to fall back to Windows to get some things accomplished. Perhaps that will change.

Bottom line is I don't feel the need to "switch." There's plenty of room in my stable of tech for both environments.

3. Laco macrumors 6502

I bought my first Macbook 6 years ago and my most recent last year largely because I had awful experiences with Windows. When I was using Windows for about 15 years I was experiencing constant crashes and driver problems. Now my Macbook runs as fast as when I bought it and I have hardly any kernel panics. My father uses Windows 8 and it is awful. His $4000 PC that he bought 3 years ago is extremely slow and simply does not work well with Windows. For example every time Windows is updated, which seems to be monthly, bad drivers get installed and the sound stops working. So every few weeks we have to install several unofficial drivers - the official ones do not work. From personal experience I have had many problems with all PCs my family members have owned and in larger part I think this is because of Windows. I would never buy a windows machine again. I not an "Apple fanboy" that needs the latest technology every year but in my opinion OS X is a much better operating system in every way.

Personally if I was in your position I would buy one of the cheapest Macbook Airs and a $100 external monitor.

4. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

I guess I've been lucky as I have not experienced the issues you described with Windows. The only issue I've had in past 3 years was with the video driver, and the one on Dell's web site was updated. Fortunately I have an extended warranty, and the Dell technician downloaded the latest driver from the vendors website, and no more problems. I have not had any Windows update issues at all.

The ONLY reason I'm considering switching from a Windows PC to a MBP is my last two Windows PC's have gone south around the 3 year mark. However, to be fair, I would classify them as mid level quality PC's costing less than $1,200, and maybe a higher quality PC like Dell M3800, or Lenovo Thinkpad would last longer as they are built better.

I have no need for an external monitor, as we sit around in various rooms with our laptop, and use it as a laptop; but a great suggestion if we were to use it as a desktop.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

I have to second that.
    Been using MS since 1988. Changed a few years ago.
    Couldnt imagine going back to Windows.
    When I look at MS products now i dont know wtf they r thinking.

----------

For your usage i think you should also consider the ipad air.
    It does word processing, excel, email and web.
    Its got retina and you can keep it on your lap.
    Except for the retina u dont have much use for a mbp.

6. Stunned Monkey macrumors regular

:) If you're talking about Windows 8.x, I'd have to agree. WTF? It reminds me of the old DOS/Win 3.1 days when you had two distinct environments bolted together. I'll be interested to see where it goes, but right now it has a real FrankenOS feel to it. I head a modest-sized IT environment (~400 seats) and there's no way we'd deploy Windows 8 into it. (Then again, there's no way we'd deploy OSX either.)

But that's a user interface issue, not a reliability issue. I use Windows 8.1 on my main work laptop and it's actually very solid, once you (re)learn how to do things. But it does feel very kludgy.

7. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

We have the iPad 3 and iPad mini, and while they are great, we both like a laptop, especially for the family pictures we have on it which are over 20GB, and music which is about 160GB. Also like the 15" screen.

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

My first computer was the Apple //c but I just bought a used 2012 rMBP.
    Between the two I've been using Windows exclusively.

I think of myself as a power user who likes to be in complete command of the computer.
    I install all the power toys and custom tweaks I can find if I can see a benefit to me and even at work where the PCs are pretty much locked down by I.T. I've found ways to access the command prompt and control panel in order to do what I want, when I want.
    That said, it still feels weird on the Mac where it feels like I'm pretty much just along for the ride.
    I switched because I simply loved the form factor and features of the new MBPs and I was getting more and more entrenched in the Apple ecosystem.
    I can not say that the OS experience is better but the hardware sure is.
    Boot times and shutdown times are a thing of the past.
    The machine is quieter and cooler.
    It feels more solid when I carry it around.
    Or maybe it's the hardware combined with the OS.
    Some things I'm still getting used to and some things I still think that Windows does better (Explorer seems far superior to Finder) but all-in-all I think I'm enjoying my used Apple laptop more than I did any of my previous new PC laptops.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

If you like the 15" then you know what to get. ;)
    Almost everybody here will advise you to get a mac.
    I am allergic to windows now. Wouldnt even pollute my macs with it under bootcamp or vms.

----------

I forgot to exclude DOS. I really liked DOS 3.11 no problems ever. And always fast.
    I avoided windows until 2002!
    Win3.x was the all time low imo.
    Windows 8 doesnt have such a bad feeling to it but its not that usable and not stable.

10. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

The Apple IIC was my children's first PC also!

I really need to find someone who lives local to me (NJ) where I could sit with them awhile and have them walk me through from a users perspective vs a salesman.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm a writer, and that'll be one of my main uses for the rMBP when I receive it soon. But one thing to consider is what software you use. Every single application I use either works better on a Mac, or is only available on a Mac. In my writing field, everyone uses Macs. So obviously developers are only going to write for OS X.

There's also no way I could use Windows. I prefer OS X in every way. Not to mention how well-designed a machine like the MBP is, and how fluid it is with the OS.

12. Stunned Monkey macrumors regular

Yes! That's exactly how I feel as a long time Windows user. ;)

That said, as someone new to OSX I'm consciously trying to avoid attempting to make OSX "work like Windows" but rather I'm trying to let OSX be like OSX and see how I like it. I'm very new, still waiting on my MBP and using a Macbook Air that was handed down to me. I'm liking it, but I question whether I'll ultimately ever feel in command of it as I feel with Windows.

But I can have both.

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Not sure but I think the Apple Stores offer classes that do exactly that.

14. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I have a gaming PC and a Macbook, both the around the same age (4 and 3.5 years). The PC has way better hardware (core i7@4Ghz, 12GB triple channel, ...) but is used about once or twice a month.

It's not that the mac is perfect (it had hard and software problems) but if I compare them to the desktop (or even to my older Acer, which broke 8 times in 4 years) it's a lot better.

Tried Windows 8 (and 8.1) too, but I just can't stand it and just do not know how anyone can be productive with it ....

15. msj, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

msj macrumors newbie

I have been a Windows user since the times of Windows 3.0 and it has come a long way. I consider the user experience of Windows 7 very good, it is also a very solid system and a tool for me to earn my bread and butter. Windows gets it bulk of the problems from variety of good and bad hardware produced by OEMs. OSx does have a nice feel to it and no doubt it does make normal user tasks easy to do and for anything technical you have the terminal.

I guess you should place more emphasis on the hardware when it comes to machine as both Windows and OSx will do what you want with ease. Macbooks are definitely better hardware compared to most if not all windows machines and they can run windows natively.

16. tomkin macrumors newbie

Ive just switched to a top end macbook 15, and coming from a €700 windows 7 machine a see a massive improvement in hardware.

The trackpad and the screen are the best things about this laptop - it was competing with a dell XPS 15 - and the reviews of that are that the trackpad and touch screen are glitchy!

I still don't have a preference for OSX above windows 8 - I achieved more with keyboard shortcuts in windows, but the trackpad make this more pleasant to use. I know a lot of people hate windows 8, but as far as I'm concerned, its a more stable version of windows 7 - as long as you ignore the new metro interface!!

But this thing does run hot when under load - and i presume may get uncomfortable if you have to type on a hot keypad.

All that said, i think if i were to make the decision again, i would still go macbook - this thing is the prettiest laptop out there, a beauty to type on, my photos look amazing on it, and i don think theres any windows hardware to compete with it yet! Sorry for my ramble there!!

17. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I'm a hardcore laptop user and feel like a lot of my life is on it. Not just entertainment (music, movie, games) but also my thoughts - writings, notes, plans, homework, future related stuff.

It sounds weird but apps like iCal are superior to anything I have found on Windows. It's strange. A calender app, really? Yes, but it just is that good. And like a lot of the apps they work seamlessly with the rest of the system and other apple devices.
    That's really the thing. Your typing in something in your calender, and all of a sudden you get a pop up without you even remembering it, that you have something to do!

But for me, it really is the hardware. The attention to detail. Macbooks are made by Unibody design, only contains aluminium. Very few laptops are made from 100% non-plastics, and even if they are there are problems. Flexing keyboards, mediocre trackpads, abysmal displays and audio output.

I just feel that Macs are the no-compromise on quality across the board from a design perspective. The keyboard is fantastic. The trackpad is the best ever. It's incredible smooth and responsive. Then there is the little things like the magsafe magnet power outlet.

They are fantastic computers. That's why even haters of OSX buys them, because the hardware design is just so satisfying that they buy the machines just to install windows on.

Sometimes there are problems with the OS. Just like Windows. And some times there are problems with the hardware as well. OSX vs Windows is mainly preference at this point. But if I can choose I would rather pick Apples ecosystem than Microsofts.

18. verseafterverse macrumors member

I just bought a mac after being extremely indecisive for school as I do play some light games between a class or two, but I still say get a rmbp or a 8gb mba as 8gb is worth the upgrade so your laptop will last longer then a week.

19. jerrykur macrumors newbie

For the money and your usage, you might be better staying with Windows. Even if a new system comes with Windows 8, you can use it. Windows 8.1 allows you to boot to the desktop so you will not see the tiled interface unless you want to. If you really never want to see the tiled interface download the free Classic shell application. That will make interface the same as Windows 7. Regardless of how you get there, on the desktop you have the Taskbar on the bottom just like you do in Windows 7. So you can just drop the application (sounds like these would be Outlook and Excel and some sort of photo editor) onto the bottom task bar.

If you do decide to go to a Mac, take a look at the Air. They are super light weight and very nice systems. Also, the price is a lot closer to a Windows PC. These is a learning curve for OSX, but is nothing that cannot we surmounted with a little time.

20. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

For me the 2 biggest things are unix and a usable trackpad. I've never used a laptop, other than the mbp, where I could get anything done without carrying around a mouse. And I need to do unixy kind of stuff, so there's that. iTunes and iCloud and iBooks etc. is much different than Windows, which of course, has a more business oriented ecosystem. And of course, nobody expects MS to follow Apple's example and give away MS Office for free anytime soon.

Windows is a lot better than it used to be, but it's still kind of a disorganized mess. Part of that is caused by MS's policy of extreme backwards compatibility, and if that's what you need then it's hard to fault them for that. But I don't need that, other than the occasional game.

21. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

The ease of workflow. The hardest thing about Windows to me was always seamlessly bouncing between windows. Yeah there were shortcuts like win-tab and a few others that could get your big array up, but hitting F3 and getting all open apps or F4 for the launchpad just moves so much faster.

I mean, that's aside from the obvious like the improved aluminum build quality or the battery life.

22. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

- The way alt-tab behaves
    - Mission Control (unbelievable how much time this saves me)
    - The way it can copy/move/manipulate open files
    - How apps are installed
    - How it almost never crashes, or randomly slows down to a halt for no reason (I'm looking at you Windows and random "Not Responding" screen freezes.)
    - How aggressive/flexible it is in finding and maintaining network connections
    - How consistent major UI elements are across the entire OS, and also on 3rd party apps. Almost as if there's a silent agreement between Apple and all devs to adhere to a certain high standard of design and UX.
    - Trackpad gestures that are actually useful and smooth
    - How the keyboard feels.
    - How the screen can be opened with one finger, but stays put even when being jostled.
    - How most ports are on the left, because the right side may have a mouse right next to it, so remains clear of clutter.

23. ryallen macrumors newbie

Well I'm 17, which, you know... make of it what you will, but I switched to a haswell 15 inch 10 days ago from a 2011 Vaio Z.

The things I like most are the display, standby battery life, speakers, trackpad, and SSD speed.

If you have the money, you should definitely make the switch.

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

My iPhone made me buy an apple laptop that is why. I love it very much. No more headaches about malwares, crashes, and viruses! :apple:

25. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Thanks for all the insight guys. I just have to decide if changing over is worth it to me.

Thanks again!